Sunday, January 22, 2006

HMS Pickle


As I was eating my breakfast this morning I noticed that the HMS Pickle had her sails ready to go out to sea. It's not a very good photo as I don't have a telephoto lense on my digital camera and it was too far away to get a really clear image.
This tall ship is a replica of the HMS Pickle.

The Battle of Trafalgar was fought on 21 October 1805. When it was over, a fast schooner, HMS Pickle (built in Bermuda, of cedar), was despatched to sail back the 1,000 miles from the Cape of Trafalgar off southern Spain to England. The journey took nine days and the ship ran into a gale on the way to Falmouth.

If anyone is interested here is a website Sailing Holidays | HMS Pickle & Cymru: Sailing Charter Holidays on a traditional topsail schooner from Nelson 's era at the Battle of Trafalgar. Sail Training, Film Charter, Corporate training, Anglesey Tall Ships Ltd.

6 comments:

Liz said...

This is beautiful. I do envy you your view. Do you live near Llandudno?

MargaretR said...

Yes Liz, I'm about 3 miles from Llandudno. The other side of the river to Conwy Castle.

Gill said...

Wow, Margaret, that's a really splendid view you have today, and the ship makes it even more special.

We have mist and low cloud. Quite a contrast from yesterday.

MargaretR said...

Hi Gill, seems your joining us? That is great news.

It has been unbelievably warm here for the time of year but rather hazy and not especially good for taking photos. I am going to put some photos on Flickr later on. It's fun!

Paige said...

Wonderful photo. Shows a great contrast between the past present & even as a little future in it.

MargaretR said...

Thanks Paige. I hope to get many more photos of her as she should have regular sailings from Conwy and I live on the opposite side of the river.