Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Spiral Page

I promised that I would try to describe how I made my Spiral Page.
It was inspired by Wrought Iron that I photographed while on holiday in Cannes.
I started by creating a background of black polycotton with a sheet of Nappy Liner (diaper) painted with thick acrylic paints in pink, blue and white, to emulate the peeling paint on some of the doors. This was covered with a sheet of greaseproof paper and ironed on with a very, very hot iron. It was an experiment which worked very well.

I digitized the spirals very roughly, I don't like them to be perfect and I stitched them onto the background with my Artista 180e. I then used another digitized spiral, this time using satin stitch on black net so they looked like cords. I cut the net close to the edges and used a soldering iron to neaten the edges. This was very fragile and tended to break into bits.

I cut slits in the stitched background and wove the satin stitched spiral in and out through them. I finished by stitching here and there to secure.

This wrought iron gate with the letter M inspired the notebook cover. This was dyed and screenprinted with gold fabric medium. It also has some hand stitiching which does not show up.

6 comments:

Micki said...

Thanks for sharing the techniques with us. I like your book cover.

Kari said...

Oh, that is fantastic to understand how the process works - you are a very talented lady!

Kari x

Liz said...

Why did you use polycotton? Does the nappy liner adhere better to it, or was it just something you happened to have?

Your own personal gate!!! Love the book cover - is that velvet?

MargaretR said...

Thanks Kari. rxrgtp
I just enjoy myself and hardly ever write down how I do things, so that was a good exercise.

Carol Dean said...

Your work is amazing. Not only do you have the skill, you have the imagination. Too often, it's either one or the other.

Zaz said...

Happy birthday Margaret! dont know which day - but you deserve all the best in the world and I hope you get it !

love Sara