Wednesday, March 22, 2006

I bought a Mountain


My friend Shirley of New Zealand Dyeing2Design saw my latest photos of Dyffryn Mymbyr and said she had just been reading the book 'I Bought a Mountain' by Thomas Firbanks. His wife Esme was a great friend of my piano teacher Mrs Southall and I read the book when I was young but had forgotten all about it until Shirley reminded me. I Googled it and came across this lovely story from the Washington Post. washingtonpost.com: Style Live: Travel
Here is a photo of a small part of her mountain. I took it becouse I have a thing about walls and take photos of them whenever I can. But that is another post I think.

2 comments:

marion said...

Your photos just inspired me to haul out my copy of 'The Colour of Saying' by Mary Lloyd Jones, they reminded me of her work. They also reminded me of home (you can take the girl out of Scotland, but you can't take Scotland out of the girl...)..must go visit and take some hill photos. I clearly need some time in the Highlands.

Shirley Goodwin said...

Thanks for that link, Margaret. One of the reasons I moved south (most Kiwis are moving north) is that I love the hills and landscape down here in Otago - it's rugged and beautiful, harsh and unforgiving but those who love it, do so fiercely - no doubt similar to the Welsh countryside.