Saturday, March 04, 2006

Tatting with a Needle

This afternoon I tried Tatting once more, but this time using a darning needle. I had tried it before many years ago with a shuttle and failed. I have always done crafts of all kinds and this is the only one I have failed to make head nor tail of using the instructions from a book. But today I was successful and here is the proof. I got the first attempt wrong, but I am delighted with my second attempt.

I must thank Jo of New Zealand who has an interesting blog No Matter Where I go...I ALWAYS Meet Myself There! for pointing me in the right direction. I will now investigate further to see if I can make something more intricate as I would like to include some tatting in my crazy quilt blocks.

7 comments:

Jo in NZ said...

whoop whoop!! Go Margaret. I'm afraid I've come to a screaming holt with tatting, it's getting the chains to connect the rings.... check out 'Iriscabin' (in my sidebar) shes done some great stuff for a newbie.

Valeri said...

Needle tatting is great and so easy to do. You'll have great fun and motifs for CQ are easy to do. I might have some patterns somewhere. I'll look them out this week and post on the blog.

Webfrau said...

Funny I've never been able to get to grips with tatting either. I have my grandmothers shuttle, thread and book but I've never managed to produce anything. I haven't tried for a long time, maybe I should give it another go.

MargaretR said...

We'll all have another go when we have Valeri's instructions. I managed to put 3 of the picot circles together in a triangle 3 times last night, but I don't think I'm doing it the right way. It just looks OK(smile) i have sent an email to V to TIA.

Iris said...

Margaret, I used the tutorial for needle tatting at Needle Tatting Two. Hope it helps...don't give up it's actually fun when you figure it out.
http://groups.msn.com/NeedleTattingTwo/
workingofftheballthread.msnw

MargaretR said...

Thanks for that website Iris. I will have a look at it now.

Maggie H said...

If you need help I can do it - my granny taught me and I have taught lots of people. Its one process in the tatting that is the stumbling block, and you need to feel how to do it. So very difficult from words on a page.