Monday, April 10, 2006
Dyeing with Ruth Issett
There was a lot of preparation to do before going on my course with Ruth Issett, we had to prepare about 36 plastic bags of natural fibers and threads. When I received these instructions I knew that we were not going to waste any time in this class.
Friday evening we spent painting fabrics with dye to see how the dye reacted on the fibers. Then on Saturday morning we dyed 9 bags of wet fiber with some natural threads in each one using one colour of dye, we added 25mls of Chemical Water ( water with urea) We added the same amount of a solution of Soda Ash, which was left again for about 10 minutes, then washed still inside the plastic bags until the water ran clear, then scoured with a tiny bit of Synthrapol then rinsed again.
Saturday evening, we dyed families of colours.
4 families of 3, using 2 colours.
Using 25ml measures, starting with the palest colour and adding one other colour to make up 25mls each time, so gradually changing the colour. At home you could have more in the family, but we only had 3 bags of each.
Do this 4 times using 2 different colours each time. I chose turquoise as one of the colours for each bag, so they would co-ordinate.
1. Turq + Golden Yellow
2. Turq + Marine Violet
3. Turq + Rosebrown (lovely colour)
4. Turq + Scarlet
I was very pleased with them all except the last, which was very strange. The colours were so different. As you know, all the fibers take the colours differently. It seems I had some synthetic in some of the fabrics, so what happened was that the silks and pure natural pieces were greedy and absorbed all the scarlet, some the turquoise and a little scarlet, they looked mauve and the last were almost blue. They were still ok, but I did not like them as much. These were finished in the same way as the last lot.
It was hard work, but nice and clean. These fabrics were left to dry naturally.