Monday, April 03, 2006

Memories

I should mention that the close-ups are closest in colour to the actual cushions.


I don't know if these would count as vintage
or not, but they were stitched by my mother about 65 years ago.


Considering they were cushion covers in every day use they are in remarkably good condition.


There is a story to these cushions.


A Welsh sea captain brought home his Australian wife and son to our village during the war. She was an asset to the village, she was a fantastic embroiderer and willing to share her knowledge with everyone. The whole village benefited from her expertise, I would say for generations to come, as this knowledge is passes from mother to daughter. I have a lot to thank her for. My mother learnt to stitch these with her and as I watched I wanted to learn as well.
These bring back wonderful

10 comments:

jenclair said...

Your mother's embroidery is beautiful, and the story is such a fascinating look at the art and craft history of a village. Thanks for sharing it.

Paige said...

Wonderfull!

Zaz said...

oh - they are lovely - I really love old embroideries even if it isnt considered modern!

Sara

Gill said...

Mags, that's just the kind of thing the National Needlework Archive is revealing - though sadly, I don't suppose your cushions will be eligible, since they're not "public art". But one person's arrival in a place can explain such a lot about a sudden rise in embroidery skills. I hope you'll write it all down and put the story with the cushions, so that some historian will know the background someday.

Gill said...

Sorry...forgot to say that they are just wonderful!!

Helen Suzanne said...

It's wonderful to hear how creative knowlege is shared and passed on. learning goes on in so many different ways.

abeautifulcraft said...

Hi Margaret, I loved seeing your Mum's embroideries, they really are beautiful. The story that goes with them I found fascinating.
I also enjoyed your wood monster find and all the photos, that would load for me. Sadly I struggle with so many photos being on slow dial up, but each one is so unique and lovely. Those foot prints in the cement, if only they could talk! hugggs

Ribbonwiz said...

Oh Margaret!
They are so beautiful, and what a lovely story.
What a lovely treasure you have of your Mums..

Gina E. said...

Hi Margaret, I have discovered your blog through links from Sandie at abeautifulcraft. I collect antique/vintage hand embroidered linens, and yours are exquisite! I sure hope your descendants value them as much as you obviously do; it is very sad when young people throw out things that were handmade by previous generations of their families.

Sara said...

The embroidery by your mother is just lovely. I looked at those with some sadness - as I have a few items my mother embroidered - and now she does well to get through a day all of those skill have been forgotten.

Those items are our treasures! And, will always keep our mothers close to our hearts and lives.

Thank you for sharing...