Saturday, June 10, 2006

Fern?

Gill of An elegant sufficiency has just been on a wonderful holiday in Italy, where she seemed to be house hunting! She took a photo of a small plant that loves growing in cracks in walls. I have taken many photos of this plant also, but I took them at Plas Tan y Bwlch in North Wales.
Some of you who read my blog will know that Plas Tan Y Bwlch is one of my favourite places where I go to various classes and also with my group SerenTex for a few days each year to stitch and be inspired.
I went there in 2001 and when I returned home I used a piece of silk I had dyed to match the slate wall to make a folder to hold samples of fabric art and photos from Plas Tan y Bwlch. It's a wall with quite a few of Gill's plants growing on it. It's probably some kind of fern.

8 comments:

Gillian said...

What stunning work you've been doing. Is that stumpwork? It looks very realistic in an embroidered sort of way!

Micki said...

However did you create those ferns? They are wonderful and so is that piece.

Jo in NZ said...

Margaret, did you do those?? They are phenomenal - not a word I have used in a comment before- you must tell us how!!
XX

Gill said...

Mags, these are wonderful and capture that little plant exactly! I really loved the way it clung there in very little soil, and the contrast of colour between the dull grey stone and the fresh green leaf was very satisfying.
Thought someone had got there first - but I suppose the extra challenge would be to create something *different* with it?
We'll see (as my Mother says!)

jenclair said...

Lovely! I love checking in here to see what you have been up to.

mrsatroxi said...

I love those little ferns, they make me want to scoop them up and take them home! How did you make them?

MargaretR said...

Hi Mrs A.
Glad you like it.
I stitched the fern out on black net and then burnt round them with a soldering iron and applied a little fabric stiffener. I made 3 of them in the shape of a star connected in the centre. Then put one on top of the other a little off centre and stitched through. applied the stiffener and lifted and twisted them to look more natural. They were easy really.
Margaret

Lesley said...

Oooh that's gorgeous!