Sunday, July 09, 2006

Margaret Beal Day2


Another brilliant day with Margaret Beal. Here she is discussing a student's work which she did regularly throughout the day. I'm sorry I was too busy to take good photos, most of them are very hurried and not very good quality.


This morning we used the waste strips from yesterday in many different ways and here I used mine to join some of the strips I made at home last night. I don't seem to be able to take good photos of purple colours for some reason. The felt base here is a nice purple.


Then we were shown how to make marks using the soldering iron using small bits of various colours sandwiched between two pieces of nylon organza on a piece of felt. When we had done that we cut out shapes, bonded more organza to back the holes, then made frames and used them to decorate the same piece of work. Here is my effort.


To finish off this afternoon we used our sewing machines for the first time to make some reverse applique. I have an unfinished piece of work here, but I will show some more of my work in a few days perhaps when I complete them.


There are some more images on the SerenTex blog.

6 comments:

Micki said...

Your piece looks great and looks like everyone enjoyed the class.

feltedfibers said...

Hi Margaret,
Glad like us you enjoyed the course, all I want to do now is play with the soldering iron!!
Jenny.

downunderdale said...

ooh you are so lucky, Mags. Margaret is sucha lovely persona nd a great teacher - wish I could have been there. Hope your back is on the mend
Dale

jenclair said...

Glad you felt well enough to make the class. Sounds as if everyone learned a lot and made some cool stuff. I think your pics are fine...considering the effort it takes to leave what you are doing, any pics at all are great. I can only concentrate on one thing at a time, and often miss taking pictures all together as a result.

Thanks for sharing!

Lesley said...

That looks really interesting. I would never have guessed you could use a soldering iron to make marks on fabric like that. I hope your back is feeling better.

Holly said...

these are fantastic pieces! I have this book and LOVE it, but I tried a few things and they came out NOTHING nearly as good as yours. Plus I smelled smoke the entire time (grin!). Great work! Congrats