Saturday, July 29, 2006

More ATC's


Here are a few more ATC's I made at Plas Tan y Bwlch.


And a book I made using the soldering iron techniques I learnt on the course with Margaret Beale. The colours are not very true here I'm afraid.
There was a conference in the Lecture Room one day loads of men and a couple of women. Someone said it had something to do with Atomic Power, anyway, some of the men annoyed me my asking jokingly if we could do trouser turn-ups and repair things etc. etc. They did not see us as Textile Artists at all, just a crowd of busy little women stitching.
You should have seen their faces and the comments I had when they noticed my soldering iron though.

9 comments:

MaryB said...

Some people are very ignorant, but we just have to keep soldering on! Love the ATC's, looks like you had a good time at Plas Tan y Bwlch.

Paige said...

You get 'em. Happy weekend

Helen Suzanne said...

I always feel rather empowered when whelding tools too and rather enjoy the effect when the "male crumple zone" comes into effect if they realise your kitted up and dare to be less than positive about the reasons for the implements they secretly feel should have male exclusitivity (spl?).

Stitching with Schnauzer and Siamese said...

I think that men cover up their embarrassment and lack of knowledge, by trying to make light of things. Women stitching is actually a very powerful sight (even if not of atomic proportions!) and can be quite threatening to some people. I think it is to do with the absolute concentration and oneness with what you are doing that creates this aura . Keep up the good work Mags, and solder onwards.

Maggie H.

Micki said...

Your ATC's are great. I like your book too.

Dorothy said...

The girl done good again! Love the ATC's in particular. At leats asking if you can do turn ups is slightly better than calling everything you do, KNITTING!
Dorothy

Shirley Goodwin said...

Luvvvvvly ATCs and book, Margaret. Some men only feel comfortable if they belittle what women do - I had a husband like that once.

Deb H said...

Oooo the ATCs are wonderful. Is one coming to my house?

I love playing with power tools. It's fun incorperating them into my art any way I can. Some folks are just a little dumb. We just have to educate them.

Ali Honey said...

It looks like a peaceful green and pleasant place you have been.( very like NZ ) Great ATCs! I am lucky to have a husband who knows I have many talents from needlework to driving tractors! lol.Hugs from Alison.

(PS. I have always refused to learn to use the chainsaw though!)