Tuesday, August 15, 2006

White Hands


I have just been reading some of my favourite blogs and JAFABRIT'S ART blog had a very interesting posting on it this evening. She was 'moved' to paint a white hand after the Madrid bombings when the Spanish people painted their hands white in protest marches. There is also a group on Flikr that have posted photos of white hands in protest against Terrorism. So I thought I would also do my bit.

I took the photo above when I was on holiday in Sydney in the year 2000. I have been meaning to ask some of my Australian friends if they know anything about this work of art.
Please can one of my friends in the area tell me if they do know anything about it?

4 comments:

Erica said...

Hi again Margaret, the mural was done by Sydney artist Rodney Monk, he does a lot of community mural work - you can see the full work here:
http://www.courtneymonkstudios.com.au/commercial03.html

it's called "Peace, Justice and Unity"

cheers
Erica

MargaretR said...

Thanks for both emails Erica. I am so pleased to have found what these murals are and who painted them I have saved them to my favourites

jafabrit said...

Thanks for the shout out and for posting this. It was really neat to find out that the image is called "Peace, Justice and Unity"

what a great mural.

Aren't some of those flickr pics wonderul.

Toni said...

Margaret
This is a new one for me will keep an ear out for future work by Rodney.
Toni