Saturday, September 02, 2006

Textile day

I'm so pleased to report that I have been doing some textile work today. For some reason I had been putting it off without realising it. My head is so full of ideas, but as soon as I decide to go up to my loft to start something, I always seem to find something else that I needed to do first. I know many of you will identify with this.

This afternoon I thought I'd have a look at some of my magazines to inspire myself before starting anything . Then I gave myself some straight talking and told myself to go up those stairs and do something, however small.


Do you remember this fabric I transfer painted recently? These were brought out on the worktop. I started to layer them on some pelmet material and I found some that looked rather pleasing together. I tore some of them into strips, things were looking better. I stuck a few pins to hold them together and switched on the machine. I chose some bronze green thread and started sewing stripes all over the piece.


I then free stitched some spirals in various sizes using purple.


Here is a close-up of the work in progress. It's quite pleasing so far and I have decided it's going to be a book cover for the samples I am going to make using the transfer technique.
I hope to carry on with this work tomorrow and also get on with some Post Cards I need to make for some swaps.

5 comments:

jackie said...

It difficult to get started sometimes,but amazing how samples can be more inspiring when you come back to them.You must be pleased with the outcome. I'm sure just playing,as say about the digital images,is the way to go - we all get too serious at times.

Carol said...

this is lovely, glad to see you are back doing some stitching

jenclair said...

I can see how this piece called you back to stitching...and the result is well worth it!

Liz said...

This is lovely, Mags. Well done for getting started... I'm looking forward to Wednesday when the kids go back to school...

Lesley said...

Oooh I really like that! The colours are gorgeous. I can definitely identify with you putting off starting, the exact same thing happens to me! Sometimes I think I enjoy the anticipation as much as the doing which doesn't help matters!