Friday, October 20, 2006

Past sixty

I love the You magazine that comes with the Mail on Sunday and look forward to having a read. Some things don't interest me and I just skip those, eg. Victoria Beckham is a little bit too much for me, but then I suppose some of the younger people adore her.
But last Sunday Virginia Ironside wrote a short article which I thoroughly enjoyed and I will be buying her new book as soon as possible.
She says "At 60, I realised a thousand things I wish I'd known before. I realised that it was OK to say exactly what I felt, and that people admired me for it". Now, I don't think I have been very outspoken even after I turned 60, not so much that I was admired for it, but it has given me a kind of freedom that I'm really enjoying.

I know people of all ages have a look at my blog every now and then and I welcome them all because I read their blogs too and enjoy most of them enormously. Up here in my head I'm still 17.

Which leads me to tell you about the most wonderful poem I have read recently. It is sentimental, but thought provoking. I don't want to make anyone feel sad as only a few of us will ever become like this. Most of us won't, but even those who are have usually lived a satisfying and full life and have their memories for company as this poem shows.

When an old lady in the Ashludie Hospital Geriatric Ward, near Dundee, Scotland, died, it appeared that she had left nothing of value. Then the nurse, going through her possessions, found this poem.

I read it on Lillian's blog and she tried to find the owner of this poem to ask permission to post it, but failed.

Crabby Old Woman
What do you see, nurses? What do you see?
What are you thinking When you're looking at me?

This is just the first verse, but if you want to see it all, you will find it atcrazyseoulsister.

2 comments:

sue b said...

Such a powerful verse. So much said with so few words.

Anonymous said...

Hi Margaret (Jeannie here - sorry but my Dog has a Blog - except I help write it for him!) I am a friend via the internet of Jenny Walton.

Your blog interested me, and I know the poem well.

Makes you think doesn't it? Both my Ma and my Pa passed away recently and I am an only child, my Ma didn't know me when she died - she was sooo ill. And this poem, means a great deal to me.

Keep on Blogging. Take a look at our daft creation sometime! We have made so many good friends from all over the world. I so envy creative people, your work is good.

Love and Much light Jean in Dunblane x