Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Self portraits




These are four of my Self Portrait postcards. I used a sketch that I made on holiday using one eye, one nose and half a mouth cut out from a magazine sketching in the rest of the face to match. I then played with these in PSP9 and printed them out on silky fabric and free machined into them.
I can tell you now that I am kidding myself here as I have completely ignored my slight double chin and most of the wrinkles, but I did look a bit like this once perhaps. What it does show is my love for the computer, sketchbook and the sewing machine and my ability to kid myself perhaps? Oh, yes, I nearly forgot, I do have a rather large mouth.

But it is all in fun and has taken me longer than you can imagine to decide on the form these were going to take. Funny how some things seem more difficult than others? One of them is so disappointing I'm going to re-do it and maybe I will also make another one instead of the bottom one. We'll see how it goes this evening while my husband is at choir practice. They must be posted tomorrow whatever happens.

7 comments:

Paige said...

These are neat. I don't think you have a big mouth. I look forward to seeing whats next.

joyce said...

I think self-portraits must be the hardest thing. Ego vs reality! I really like what you have done.

sue b said...

I could never do a self portrait. I think these are wonderful, you did a terrific job.

Helen Suzanne said...

i like the top one best :) i'm a sucker for the green texture :)

Zaz said...

These are lovely Mags .......they look really serene and strangely enough , thats the impression I get of you too ! Never flustered !

Micki said...

These are great, Mags. I don't know if there are any guidelines you have to adhere to on these, but you could do something digital for one, since you are so good at that sort of thing.

Ruth said...

Oh no - don't replace the bottom one!
I think that's the best. I love the pale patches and minimal use of colour.