Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Tribute

I feel I must mention the sad loss to the world of embroidery and textiles by the death of Val Campbell-Harding recently. Unfortunately I never had the pleasure of meeting her face to face, but had many a pleasant conversation with her over the telephone. I look upon her and also Maggie Grey as my mentors and wish I had taken better advantage of the opportunities they both gave me.
At the time, I was one of the few embroiderers using the computer to develop my designs and they both encouraged me to write articles for both the Computer Textile Group's magazine, The World of Embroidery and Stitch Magazine. Due to lack of confidence I refused the offer to write one of the Computer Textile Group's books. Now I wish I had at least attempted even if it had not been good enough.
Having read the messages left in the book of condolence I realize that I was one of the many people that Val encouraged.
Her books will continue to encourage and inspire us for a long time to come.

2 comments:

sue b said...

Such a tragedy that we've lost such a gifted contributor to the world of fiber arts. I treasure her books and was so saddened to hear that she is no longer with us.

Dorothy said...

I agree with you Margaret. She taught me pretty much all I know about machine embroidery in the one year Missenden course I did with her some time ago.
We shall miss her greatly.