Friday, November 10, 2006

Creating my fabric

This is how my woven piece of fabric is developing. I'm enjoying creating a new fabric out of the rubbish in my bits bag.
Things went really well. Yesterday I had woven one half and roughly stitched around the edges, there were a few bumbs in it here and there. So today I folded all the strips back and ironed some bondaweb on the other half. I continued with my weaving, but the way I did it today was much simpler and faster. I suppose you always do it this way? I'm afraid I have to learn by my mistakes. I folded back every other strip and laid a piece over the others, then brought them back and repeated this until I had finished it in record time.














This is how it looked.



I decided it needed something to bring all these colours and textures together, so I used this wooden print and some gold acrylic paint to stamp the fabric. I also used one stamp and some green acrylic here and there. It's now drying and I'm not sure yet where I go from there.
I will have to sleep on it and hope for some inspiration. This is a large piece as I never seem to allow enough fabric as my ideas develop.

10 comments:

StegArt said...

Love how this is developing. I'm betting you come up with great ideas on how to use it. Can't wait to see.

sue b said...

This is coming along very nicely!

Sue said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sue said...

If it were me, I'd be inclined to stamp some more in one of the dark shades from the mix, to sort of merge it all, then stamp again in the gold - but that would be me, and you are you! Looking forward to the next instalment

Helen Cowans said...

Hi Great to see how this is developing.....can't wait to see the next instalment. Helen

Leanne Hurren said...

I always struggle with weaving fabric so glad to read about your improved, quicker method - I will have to try! Looking good

Shirley Goodwin said...

This looks terrific with the stamping.

Carol said...

This is lovely, looking forward to seeing the results.
There must be something inb the air in North Wales sending stripey vibes. you will see why soon :-p

Ali Honey said...

Looks promising; the gold certainly links it together.

MargaretR said...

Thanks to everyone for leaving a comment.