Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Paper Dolls

You will have realised by now that I have a variety of interests and a mind like a grasshopper! Well, I have added another interest to my list. It's making Paper Dolls. When a list I was on decided to swap Paper Dolls, I decided to join in and although I had not seen a paper doll for a long time my head was full of ideas. I used to enjoy playing with them when I was a child. I had a Paper Doll book every Christmas, which I had to cut out carefully or the shoulder tabs that held the clothes to the shoulders of the doll would come off. I also copied the shape and coloured my own when I tired of playing with the ones in the book.


These are grown up Paper Dolls that I stitched out today. I don't suppose any of you knew there were such things as grown up Paper Dolls? Well, there is now. I have not enjoyed myself as much in a long time and I can see myself making these for a long time to come. This lot is going to be series of 10 dolls all with a theme of Autumn. I have many ideas for making dozens more.

The dolls start out as an idea in my head which I then sketch roughly, digitize with my Artista software and stitch out with the Bernina Embroidery Module. Yesterday i bought some Inktense Derwent Coloured Pencils so I could colour in these dolls. As the name suggests these pencils when used with a little water can give intense colour which will not wash out. the doll in the centre is already coloured. they will eventually be stuck on to stiff card and have a stand attatched at the back. I'm not sure how I will manage this, but I dare say I will get there with a bit of trial and error.


9 comments:

Zaz said...

wow! I'm loving your dolls Mags!

they are going to make great cards! They remind me of the those postcards you used to get from spain with the spanish lady on the front ........

sue b said...

Amazing ! Now I am really wishing I had signed up for the paper doll swap.

Beverley said...

This is very interesting and something that I will enjoy following....

I shall look forward to seeing the finished 'dolls'!

Helen Suzanne said...

superb Mags! I loved those paper dolls too and think yours are great

Ali Honey said...

Maybe you were destined to be a fashion designer?

I had some of those cut out books as a little girl too.

Dr Dorothy Gibbs said...

Like the others I too enjoyed cutting them out when I was little.
I was also intersted to knwo that the Inktense crayons will work on fabric. Must try that.

Liz said...

Ooh, I remember doing that too, Mags... now, don't start me on another thing....

Joanna van said...

Wow, I wish I was in the swap with you! Very creative Mags.

Grumpy said...

Love the dolls Mags!