Saturday, November 11, 2006

Tales from the Green Valley

I spent a most enjoyable afternoon at Bodelwyddan Castle. My friend and I went to listen to a talk by Peter Sommer, who is a historian and archaeologist. He has extensive experience of documentary film-making. He is also a freelance writer and photographer who organizes historical cruises and archaeological tours.
He produced and directed The tales from the Green Valley, describing the challenges of bringing history to life on television.
His talk was amusing and entertaining.
Tales from the Green Valley was a 12 part BBC Wales documentary shown in 2005 that followed historians and archaeologists as they recreated farm life in Wales 400 years ago. It covered all areas of life, from thatching, ploughing and winnowing to doing laundry, cooking, domestic medicine and waste management(not a single thing was wasted in those days). Even the urine was collected commercially and used to make chemicals such as ammonia and bleach.
I missed the series first time around, but I shall be on the lookout for it next time.

4 comments:

Liz said...

This sounds really interesting, Mags. I shall look out for it too!

Beverley said...

I saw the program in 2005 and it was excellent so I shall also keep a look out for it coming back.

petesommer said...

Hi, I'm Peter Sommer the Producer/Director of the series, Tales from the Green Valley. A friend pointed out this post on your marvellous blog, so I thought I'd say hello. Delighted to hear you came to my talk and enjoyed it so much. You may be interested to read a couple of articles I've written about the series which are at http://www.petersommer.com/tv_tales.html

There's also a DVD of the series available from the website should anyone be interested.

Best wishes,
Peter Sommer
http://www.petersommer.com

MargaretR said...

You are welcome Peter. I really did enjoy every minute of it and look forward to the repeat of the series and I've been tempted to go to the BBC shop for the DVD!
We'll see around Christmas.
I'm glad you liked my blog.
Best wishes to you and your family,
Margaret