Thursday, November 09, 2006

Woven background

I would like to thank my friend Sue Bleiweiss for her suggestions on keeping a record of work as it progresses by taking notes and photos at every stage. I don't know how long I can keep it up Sue. But I will do my best.


Today I got out my bit bag because I wanted to play, but at the same time I am still working on my Self Portrait postcards. I have not felt this creative in quite a while so I decided to go with my feelings and just have fun playing. I hope this will become a background for my postcards as this bit bag is a part of me.

I chose the colours randomly from the bag, choosing any colour as long as they could be cut into strips. The fabrics included silk, velvet, linen, synthetics, some previously stitched or embroidered and stamped. Most of them were too short and had to be joined(with a pin) you must remember I was just playing and I'm trying to loosen up and not be so particular. So I cut a largish piece of calico and I put a strip of double sided tape at one short edge and another along the longer edge. I cut them roughly and left some of the edges very ragged. I taped long strips at the short edge and then attached the short strips along the other edge and wove them together.


I then stitched the edges with the sewing machine after weaving one half. I thought it would be easier to cope with it this way. It was not easy, so I will use something like bondaweb under the weaving next time and iron it from the back to stop it moving about and becoming uneven.
this is just the beginning and tomorrow I will continue with my play. who knows how it will turn out, the important think is having creative fun once more.

8 comments:

Micki said...

Mags, I am glad to see that you are playing around. I just wish I could feel the creative spirit and do something. Looking forward to seeing what you do with this.

StegArt said...

Glad to see you playing. Hope you are having fun. I think this will be beautiful when done, can't wait to see what happens further.

Sue said...

So glad that your muse has returned and is keeping you at play - wonderful beginnings on this project: keep up the good work!

sue b said...

This is coming along nicely Mags. A great combination of colors and textures. I usually use a piece of lightweight fusible interfacing on the back when I'm weaving up strips like this. Looking forward to seeing this project progress!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! I've been looking at ribbon weaving but this looks fun!

Sarah said...

This is looking very interesting and fun . . . I can't wait to see how this develops! I know about being very particular - it's good to give ourselves permission to let loose and find real creativity. Good for you!

MargaretR said...

Thanks to you all for encouraging my play. I'm trying to play a bit more in my workroom instead of on the computer(smile)

Paige said...

I think this is a very wonderful idea. Being more open and ok to little errors here and there. That is what makes us each unique and special

Happy weekend