Thursday, January 18, 2007

A cream page


This is the page I have just finished for a swap with the FAF group. Carol has chosen Just Creamy as her book subject. It was very difficult to photograph. I have never before designed anything just using cream, but I enjoyed the challenge. We are also experimenting with paper and fabric combined and I decided to use the combination when making this page.
The base is cream felt which was originally white. I did an online course with Maggie Grey and in one of the modules, Maggie suggested we could put white felt in the oven until it turned a lovely creamy colour. You have to watch it very carefully.
This felt turned a beautiful caramel colour.
The inspiration for the piece is Victorian. I stitched into scrunched up computer paper dyed with teabags. I blended this onto the felt using strips of cream organza and various strips of fabrics with the embellisher. I used two types of cream lace and embellished one edge only. I also used the embellisher fairly lightly along the centre of the strips of organza to make it more textured.
I stitched buttonlike beads in a row reminiscent of the Victorian love of tiny buttons on dresses and boots. Then I stitched a row of herringbone imitating the lacing of the corsts.

7 comments:

Carol said...

I just can't wait for the postman, it is BEAUTIFUL, thank you so much

Zaz said...

I agree I love the victorian look ........and those figures Mags!! well they are super !!!!

Sue B said...

Mags it is stunning!

Carol said...

Oh! I love this piece. I haven't tried the felt in the oven - I only got as far as Module 3 with Maggie's course - life just got in the way.

emmyschoonbeek said...

I realy love this it is so beautiful

Purple Missus said...

This is wonderful Mags. It looks so old. Its really good.

Dianne said...

Fantastic page!! Thanks so much for explaining how you made it.