Thursday, January 04, 2007

Embellished sample 1


Here is my first practice piece with my new Janome Xpression Embellisher. I put my bits bag on the floor and found a very narrow strip of black felt, as I did not want to waste good pieces of felt. I had some orange fluff that I had collected from some project or other, strips of organza, yarn and gold bits.

I just wanted some idea of how it worked, but I needn't have worried, it was easy. I used the 5 needles for this. I found working on the narrow strip awkward, but decided to cut the strip into three pieces and join them with the embellisher. This also worked perfectly. So I carried on adding my bits.

As I worked I could see a mother and baby developing, just as I could see images in the fire when I was a child. Even now I can see figures in the carpet and on old walls. When I showed my husband the mother and baby, he couldn't see them, but for me they were there. So I decided to do some free machining around the shapes as you can see below. I don't think it shows up very well, but I am so pleased with it.


I also finished one Christmas tablecloth for next year!

The Xpression is not going to stop me from getting on with my list in the first week of January. It is in fact inspiring me to get on with the 'to do' list so I can go back to play.

8 comments:

Penny said...

Margaret I am so glad you found me!
I have quite an interest in Wales as I also breed Welsh ponies, mad but there you are. I have had a bit of a go before I bought my machine but am giving myself permission through this awfull hot weather to do more. I love your piece and can see a mother and child. Your blog is on my favorites.

StegArt said...

Looks like you are a pro already. Very nice....although I don't see the mother and baby either.

Sue B said...

And she's off and running! A wonderful first piece Mags. I can see the mother and child in the piece too. Can't wait to see the next one!

Ali Honey said...

Oh well done! I can see the mother and child, both with darker heads- the Mother slightly bowed over the babe.
Glad you are finding it easy and satisfying!

Dianne said...

Isn't it fun!! Love how you've tried out so many different fabrics and fibres, and the colours are great!! I can see the mother and baby....

Elizabet said...

ooh well done! I really like that!

Helen Suzanne said...

oo straight off I can see the mother and child. A great piece and isn't it cool that you can just keep adding if it's too small. I'm sure you are going to really do wonders with it.

beverley said...

I'm so excited I could see the 'mother & child' straight away - I know you will understand my remark Mags about the word 'excited'.

I shall keep watching this to see how things progress!