Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Embellisher fun

When I bought my Xpression Janome embellisher this is the last thing I thought I would be using it for, stitch drawings. I had been saving the bits of machine thread for ever and I had never used them. I was going to sandwich them between water soluble film and stitch into them one day. I scattered a few of these on a piece of white felt and embellished them. I could see the head, face and shoulders of a woman wearing a knitted hat, so I added a few more bits to make her cape. I hand stitched here and there for emphasis.


Below is the original.



Here is the Birthday card I made for Francois in Belgium. FAF members are all sending each other hand made cards on their birthdays. I used my embellisher to make this one. It's done on a white piece of felt and creamy strips of various fabrics, including lace. I like the look of the frilly ragged edges to give the piece a lot of texture. I made a little secret pocket in it and hid some charms inside. I was going to have 3, but they were too bulky, so now I have 2.
The card is on it's way to Belgium and I have warned Francoise not to look at Digital Gran until it arrives.

11 comments:

Shirley said...

Aaargh, I am going to have to go streetwalking or something (very practical when you're over 50 - not!) in order to afford an embellisher.

Dianne said...

What a wonderful card for Francoise - and little charms in a pocket, sounds lovely....
Your thread ladies - I love them. They are so unique!!

Susan said...

What wonderful postcards! I'm just starting to make some.

I see the lady and love the extras you added to her, but, with my background, I see a knight from the Crusades. =)

Sue B said...

Mags you are the master of imagery on fabric. The caped woman is too cool and the card for Francoise is beautiful.

downunderdale said...

Mags - they are wonderful - clever girl.
Cheers
Dale

Purple Missus said...

I love your thread ladies - very clever, and the card for Francoise is beautiful, especially with the charms. She will love it.

Carol said...

Wow! these are just gorgeous. I have been busy with my embellisher but nothing like this.

Great work.

Scraps of Bev said...

Mags I'm in awe of your work! I am sure your friend is going to be so excited and pleased when she receives her card!!

Again I love the lady....

Zaz said...

fantastic work Mags as usual....you really have cracked that embellisher with style !

I am joining Shirley! - LOL :0)

Liz said...

Truly innovative - I haven't seen anything like this done on the embellisher. I did think a year ago that I didn't need one but now... hmm....

MargaretR said...

Thanks to everyone for the lovely comments.