Saturday, January 13, 2007

Holding hands

This is another one for Sara
One day we were talking about simplifying images, something I find rather difficult. When I draw someone, from habit I draw as closely as possible to what I see in front of me, including all the details I can. I would like to get out of this habit and Sara suggested I could get my grandchildren to draw for me.


Here is a photo my grandson Huw drew for me. It's Nain and Taid getting married and I just love it. Don't you?


I was playing with my Embellisher tonight using the ends of embroidery threads I had left over from my Blanket Stitch sample onto a white piece of felt I had used previously to practice some machine embroidered words. I placed the threads in between the words and this is the result. Now I'm sure most of you will not be able to see what I did. I can see two women chatting here in just the style Huw would have used. Can you see them? I am going to try and stitch a little here and there to accentuate the chatters, so watch this space.


Here is my finished Blanket Stitch sample for Take a stitch Tuesday Challenge. .

18 comments:

Dianne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dianne said...

Sorry, that was me that withdrew that - bad grammar!! Your buttonhole piece is wonderful, it just all blends in so well together. Also, love the drawing - and the embellished piece. I can imagine 2 ladies chatting within those threads.

Doreen G said...

I just love you buttonhole sample the colours are fantastic

Susan said...

I love Huw's drawing. =) I can almost see your two ladies, as well. I will look back again to see how they go on.

The TAST sampler is very interesting. I like the variety of lines used, and the sometimes double stitching, as well as going around corners. Very tactile-feeling piece.

Grumpy said...

Fabulous drawing Mags. You going to make somethng with it?

Zaz said...

I love the drawing too! is it going to be a collaboration between you and Huw?

StegArt said...

Never thought to save all those thread ends. Your sampler is great! Oh to be free minded as a child.

Purple Missus said...

Yes, definitely two very well dressed ladies chatting and both have hats on. Keep us updated with this piece Mags its great.

Suzi-k said...

delightful, and yes, there is definitely some resemblance between Huw's drawing and your piece, well done!

jenclair said...

Huw's drawing is so charming! I adore children's drawings.

Scraps of Bev said...

Oh I'm so pleased Mags I immediately saw 'two people' and that was before I read what you said about them - I must be improving!!

Shirley Goodwin said...

I also love that buttonhole stitch work! And I can see the 2 women in the other work.

kay susan said...

I love your buttonhole sample. Gorgeous! I love that sketch too, especially the shoes!

Micki said...

YOur TAST piece is great, love the colors. Look forward to seeing more of the "two ladies". Your grandson's drawing is precious.

Penny said...

Hi Margaret, boy you do get a lot done, love your herrinbone stitch and also your playing more with the embellisher and blanket stitch. I decided just to do a sampler as I am not a great hand stitcher,but I agree, wonderfully relaxing.
Cant work out how to get Dales embellishing (or any one elses for that matter) ring thing up on the side bar. not computer literate, sigh.

downunderdale said...

that's wonderful Mags - your 2 ladies chatting.
cheers
Dale

ruth said...

Yes those 2 ladies are definitely there and chatting. As someone else commented - they both are wearing hats.

Ati. said...

Margareth I love your work!
It is so free.
I am stokked in the traditional way, but I hope the TAST will give me freedom to learn play with stitches.