Friday, January 05, 2007

My very busy day


This is a digital image I created for our regular Chat with Rosemary Muntus, a few of us make these images and have a discussion. The topic tonight was African inspired.


I made time for half an hour's play with my new toy, the Xpression embellisher. By the way, it has a new name, it's called 'The What If Machine'. This last piece is not very successful, but it was a lot of fun. I'm beginning to have a feel for the materials which work for me. The first sample was a plain piece of black felt. I used some stabilizer under this black felt. I preferred working without a stabilizer in this case. I used all sort of bits from my bag from lace to fluffy yarns. I criss-crossed and looped and generally messed about with this piece. I'm sure I will find some use for it.
I think I will leave it a while before buying DVD's and books until I have played about myself. I find myself losing my own style a bit when copying others. I will be buying them all later I can guarantee you. My shelves are full of books on how to do things.


I have had such a busy day. My list of things to do before I can really start playing is getting shorter all the time. You might think I'm going mad when I tell you I have finished two table cloths and a set of table mats for next Christmas. Well, it's not madness, but a need to use material bought in the sales last year. The materials were a bargain from Abakhan, too good to miss. But Christmas came and went and I still hadn't done anything with it, so I put it on my list of 'to do' things.

8 comments:

Micki said...

You have been very busy. I like the digital piece and I think your mother and baby piece looks fine. I am so jealous of you and the embellisher. Now I really want.

Sue B said...

That digital image is amazing. And there's no such thing as "not successful" if you learned something from it! It's got great colors in it.

Dianne said...

Your digital piece is very African - wonderful design and colours. I like the embellished piece - it's purple and fluffy, what more could a girl ask for.

beverley said...

You put me to shame Mags with all that you've done in such a short space of time - love the 'digital piece of Africa'

Shirley Goodwin said...

Oh I am jealous! I want an embellisher like yours, but I've given up my day job so won't be able to afford it now.

feltedfibers said...

Glad to see you have bought yourself an embellisher, wouldent be without mine, its a wonderful little felters friend!
Jenny - feltedfibers

Suzi-k said...

that African digital image is great, I can see it repeated as a stencil dado around a rough earthy coloured wall!

Nina In Norway said...

Wow, you have been busy! And a lot of nice woork. I love your purple piece.
Sounds smart to experiment on your own before your buy HowToBooks.