Thursday, January 11, 2007

A stormy day


We have had very stormy weather all over the UK during the last 24 hours. This photo was taken through the window as it was too stormy to risk opening the window wide as I normally do. We rarely have waves like this on the shore here.
This stormy weather was enough of an excuse for me to stay in and do some textile creativity.


Here I have combined paper and textile in an experiment for my Fiber Art Friends group. This month we are experimenting and recording our work combining paper with textile.
I created this image on my computer using an old photo of my Nain(grandmother). I imagine her reflection in the window where she waits for my taid to come home from the war. He was wounded during the last weeks of World War 1 and died of his wounds soon after his return home. She was a very sad lady.
The image was printed out on computer paper that was scrunched up a few times and sponged over with a wet teabag to make it look aged. It was then placed on a piece of cream felt and the embellisher was used to fix it to the felt using a variety of creamy fabrics and laces. Also deliberately making it look aged. I then used some herringbone stitch to bring it all together.
I must thank Carol of Textile Tales for choosing Cream as the topic for her book page swap, therefore forcing me to use these colours. I did add some subtle dusky pink and pale green to the creams.

14 comments:

Micki said...

It is lovely, Mags. I am not one much for creams either, but this is a wonderful use of those colors.

Joanna van said...

Love it! It's really interesting to see how you personalized it with your gran photo.

Kim said...

Beautiful. The neutral colors brings a softness which complements the center motif so well. For me, the herringbone stitches almost suggest a corset. Nicely done Mags!

Zaz said...

lovely piece Margaret - I like the creams and neutrals too!

Sue B said...

Mags it's wonderful. The colors, the lines, the stitching all work together beautifully. I'm with Kim - my first impression was of a corset as well. A lovely piece.

Dianne said...

This is really beautiful Mags!! Love the photo of your gran, and the stitching looks great.

StegArt said...

Oh how lovely it is. I'm sure beginning to enjoy seeing art in the neutral tones too.

Suzi-k said...

lovely work, and that looks like my favourite weather too, i LOVE it when its wild and stormy.

Sarah said...

Very nice piece - great!

Fran├žoise said...

This is beautiful, Mags!
Well done.

Beverley said...

Love the photo - yes even here in the South we've been hit by the storms but perhaps not quite so bad!!

Love the piece of work and thanks for the description on how you did it...for the like's of me I really appreciate knowing what's gone on in the background to achieve the end result...

Liz said...

I love this, Mags... I thought it looked like a corset too. And what a sad story.

Conni said...

absolutely gorgeous!

Angelcat said...

What a wonderful piece Mags and such a sad story.