Sunday, February 25, 2007

A busy day


This week's inaminuteago - the blog » Take a Stitch Tuesday Week 8 challenge is fairly small about 5"x4". I used a piece of black felt with added fibres and a flower shape using the embellisher.


I thought my third attempt at melting felt was going to be a real disaster, but with a little bit of persuading I managed to save it, but I think Tortured Felt is much more approriate in this case. At one stage I was very satisfied with it. It has 3 layers of felt in mauve and orange with black on the top. Using zig-zag and purple quilting cotton I stitched a border all round and then stiched again to divide into six parts. Then a triple stich design inside each part. Using a small pair of scissors I cut a cross in the two top layers, the orange and black in most of the spaces of the design and used the heat gun on these splits which opened up the cut edges nicely, but also burnt through to the mauve layer, which i had not wanted. Next time I do this I will layer the felt on some cotton material which will not burn as easily. This time I added an extra layer of orange at the back which worked well.
It was finished by brushing some Treasure Gold in copper on all the hardened
edges. This is going top be a birthday card for a friend and I hope she does not see it here first.


Yesterday I went on a course to do some transfer printing and this one used the messy paper painted using the dredges from the bottom of the pots. One sheet covered the whole piece. The iron was very hot and you can see some places where it was a little too hot, but I will use some black muslin or net over it and that will hide the blemishes and tone it down a little. I placed a craft ribbon piece under the painted sheet, which left a white design here and there and also gave me a beautifully coloured ribbon.


This is another rescued piece of fabric. I transfer painted a design on this polyester which I did not like, then used some of the papers I painted yesterday to build up lots of colour, which still showed the original design and I'm now quite happy with the piece.

9 comments:

StegArt said...

Yes you have been very busy. Lots of lovely examples and colors.

Sue B said...

All great stuff! The TAST sample is wonderful and I love the colors in that last piece.

Alis said...

These are wonderful. Love the colours - all my favourites!
Hugs, Alis

meggie said...

Happy Birthday Margaretr, for 27th, my bloved son's birthday also!

I once read that when a Pisces is born, you can still see the marks where the wings were, as they are so beautiful! My son was such a child, his beauty was astonishing as a baby. He grew to be a lovely man, & is still a handsome man. I have many Pisces friends who are all beautiful!

Carol said...

yeah, I can see the pictures now, these are lovely Mag's you have been busy

Micki said...

I really like your TAST piece. And the transfer painting pieces are lovely. Happy early Birthday for tomorrow.

Helen in the UK said...

Absolutly love your new tortured felt piece. Well worth the perseverence :)

Dianne said...

Love all of these pieces - especially the TAST sample with the variety of threads.

Carol said...

Stunning stuff mags. well done you a very productive few days.