Thursday, February 22, 2007
Felt melt or tortured felt?
This was my first attempt at felt melting or as some call it, tortured felt. Not usually a great one for planning ahead, this one was thought out before hand. I had an idea I wanted to try out. So I layered four pieces of cheap acrylic, craft felt and stitched the outside with cotton quilting thread, then still using the Zig-zag divide the postcard sized piece into six parts. I then used a triple machine stitch and lowered the foot pressure so I could move the work around easily and stitched a spiral in each space.
When this was done, I used the heat gun on parts of the work. I had expected all these layers to disintegrate to some extent, hoping to reveal some of the different colours here and there, but unfortunately even though they all came from the same pack they were not all equal and some layers did not melt much. So I must now test each piece of felt before I start.
I used navy for the first layer, then white, a smaller piece of lime green and then turquoise. The green did not melt well, the white did not melt at all, but did turn a nice caramel colour. Luckily, the turquoise was the top layer and that melted beautifully and had little shiny beads where it melted. these took Treasure Gold really well. A good experiment.
This time I was better prepared and tested all the felts first. None of these melted as well as the turquoise felt. I cut three pieces of two shades of orange and arranged these over a sheet of navy felt. Then covered them with the purple felt. stitched exactly as previous sample and heated with the gun. I was surprised at the outcome, the purple took on a beautiful orangey shade, which suited the other colours well. all in all a very satisfying experiment. I will be making more of these.