Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Mark Making




Some members of the Loose Threads group are doing a challenge of 40 sketches and they are supposed to be finished this week. I'm way behind with mine, but today I did have fun mark making in my sketchbook. These colours are not colours I would normally use, but I'm very pleased with the way they turned out. I have mixed some acrylic paint with Gesso for some of this work, using two kinds of fishing nets I found while beach combing in Portugal quite a few years ago. I have had a lot of use from these over the years and out they came again. I have been thinking of pattern over pattern for a long time and never seem to have time to play with the idea, but with this challenge I decided to have a go.



This sample uses a piece of fine fishing net that was used to print on some other pages and was soaked with paint already. I added gesso to the paint and rolled it with a roller and stuck the net down onto the paper. I haven't finished with any of these yet though and they will have some additional marks added.


Here is another sample along the same lines.


Here is the 'wet area', this is said with tongue in cheek as I don't have water up in my loft and carry every drop in a plastic bottle. All very wet stuff has to be done downstairs in the bathroom.

11 comments:

Sue B said...

Cool samples Mags!

StegArt said...

I love the colors you are using and I am intrigued by what you are doing. Can't wait to seem them when you've done more.

Micki said...

Looks like you have some interesting things going on there, Mags. Love the color.

Susan said...

They may not be your normal colors, but I really like it!

Purple Missus said...

These samples are all looking very promising. Can't wait to see how you finish them off.

Dianne said...

Love the colours Mags, and the net makes some interesting patterns. They would look great on fabric too.

Fran├žoise said...

Mmm... I like that kind of messy play!
Your samples are lovely.

Gill said...

Wonderfully cool samples Mags....love the "swimming pool" effect!

Carol said...

Lovely start to the drawing Mag's,
I have opened my sketch book :)
Love the efect of the net in the blue

Barbara said...

what a wonderful blog. I am just a beginner. Grates Barbara

Judy Rys said...

Love the texture the net painting makes. Looks like reflections in water.