Tuesday, March 20, 2007

A busy day


These two swans looked so beautiful and graceful in the sun, I though I'd share them with you.


This is the Padfolio I have just finished for Alis Clair, I do hope she likes it. The pattern is by Sue Bleiweiss who kindly shares so many patterns, tips and ideas with her friends on the Fiberartfriends group. Thank you Sue.
This folio is made from transefer painted stretch velvet, again a very difficult fabric to stich. I must learn from my mistakes. It takes much longer to stitch a difficult fabric. Next time I will also make sure that there is not as much contrast between the outside fabric and the lining. This makes it difficult to get a neat edge and also the stitching does not look as perfect on the lining because it stands out too much showing every little mistake.


We are also set a challenge on the FAF list and this months challenge is experimenting with Tyvek. I painted mine with poster paints and used the heat gun. I then painted parts of the tyvek again, but using nail varnish in purple and pink. It gives it a lovely shine. I then stitched into it to blend with the background of transfer painted satin.

11 comments:

Dianne said...

That padfolio looks luscious!! Love the colour. Also, the tyvek experiment is great!!

SuZ said...

ohhh...I love the way you have finished the edges to blend so well with the background fabric...I must give this a try...wonderful effect!

Micki said...

Your padfolio is wonderful, so rich looking. I am sure Alis will love it. The tyvek piece is really great stitched to that yummy background.

Purple Missus said...

Your padfolio looks wonderful Mags and the tyvek sample looks really good on that background. Purple nail varnish? - is it yours??

Sue B said...

That padfolio is gorgeous! I love the color.

Carol said...

It looks gorgeous Mags, I am sure Alis will love it.I had the same problem with my edges

Carol said...

It's beautiful Mags. I am sure she will just love it.

StegArt said...

Yep, I agree, the padfolio is marvelously delicious. Sorry to hear about your struggles with it. I like how your tyvek experiment turned out also. I would never have thought to use fingernail polish.

Scraps of Bev said...

Mags can't think of anyone that wouldn't just love having your Padfolio it's beautiful and I'm sure your friend Alis will be thrilled to receive it.

Yes I agree with you the Swans are so beautiful and graceful and always make for a good photo and
you captured them just right!

Leanne Hurren said...

Love the use of nail varnish on the tyvek! Really effective. I always struggle with stretch velvet and shy away from it but it looks really effective. I especially like the way you've used it for applique in the previous post - did you bond the back of the velvet or just the oorganza?

Alis said...

What mistakes?? I can't find any. YOu would never know you struggled with it. I just adore my padfolio.
Thank you for the most perfect accessory.
Big hugs, Alis