Saturday, March 10, 2007
I am having so much fun creating at the moment that I have committed myself to quite a lot of swaps.
The only way to keep up with my swaps and challenges is to speed up the whole process, but without losing the quality. This has really relaxed me and I find it difficult to believe that I can turn out work that is so very different to the things that I used to make.
T was always far too precise and careful with the things I made. I would unpick something and start from scratch, or I would dislike the work and just throw it away. But now I have a completely different approach and feel if people don't like the things I make, then it does really does not matter at all. I'm making them for my own pleasure.
The work above was done this afternoon for my Needlefelt Challenge for Myfanwy of Nuvo Felt. The challenge this week is 'Patches'. I decided to see what would happen if I took two A4 sized sheets of acrylic craft felt, one in black, the other a rather bright turquoise. These were needle punched to create one sheet of a more subtle colour. This worked quite well. The next step was to decide on the patchwork. I had a failed piece of work in matching colours, so I cut it up and arranged the pieces on one half of the sheet, so I can fold it to make a book cover. I punched from the right side and then turned the work over and repeated the punching from the back. I made a border from some cotton knitted ribbon I had dyed and punched that around the edges. The cord was made from the same ribbon wrapped with wool tops and punched. It is not a very good sample of my work and I had problems making the cord.
It looks better in the photo than it actually is, but I show the good, the bad and the ugly on this blog and I have finished my challenge early. I am behind with my TAST work, so I must make a quick piece for that challenge tomorrow.