Thursday, March 29, 2007

Exciting post

Here is the cover of a Round Robin Book on Fragile Fragments that set off on it's long journey to the other side of the world to Australia in January 2005 and has just returmed home yesterday. In the next few weeks I will show you the pages that were made for it by very creative Australian Textile Artists along the way.


In January 2005 the DesignBytesDownunder Yahoo Group started a Round Robin Book, where 16 of us each started our own book using our own subject. These went from one member of the group to the next with each artist creating a page on that subject. My book arrived back yesterday and I am so excited to see all the artwork that I had only seen images of on the computer up to now and they are all so much better in real life.
My chosen subject was Fragile Fragments. I chose the fragile fragments of memory of my Nain's lovespoon, a Welsh tradition. Lovers carved spoons out of one piece of wood and gave it to their loved ones. I used to love playing with the spoon as a child and I remember it's colour, that it was a double spoon(unusual), it had vine leaves and grapes, a chain with a cage with three balls inside and the wood was stippled in parts. This is all just a fragment, or rather fragments of memories that I just cannot put together to create the whole spoon and how I wish I could.


This Notebook was a gift from Beverley of Scraps of Bev.....It is a handmade silk design made by her friend Barbara Hill and I love it. Thanks Bev and of course Barabara for making it.


I'm also in an embellisher swap with members of the Surface Design Yahoo group. Above is a beautifully textured postcard by Jean Spillane and below is another wonderful card from Francoise of CREATILFUN. Thanks to you both.

13 comments:

Judy Scott said...

Hello Margaret, seems Im not the only one with lovely old stories to tell, the lovespoon sounds so beautiful, what a differnece to the text messages that the young ones exchange now.
Im breaking down the layers of memories and trying to get to the good bits and youre building back up the memories. The fragments might still come back. I do hope so.
When I was a young teenager our 'church' used to take the young ones to Conway for a week in the school holidays it was mostly about teaching the word of the Lord but we had some fun times there, Im going to try and recall these memories abit ~ perhaps they'll come back to me.

I look forward to seeing the pages of your book unfold and I love that youre not putting them all out at once. The Australian girls are amazing artists so Im sure the pages are wonderful.

So till the next time ~ night night xJudy x

Julaine Lofquist-Birch said...

I think I should be living in Europe or Austrailia...I'm loving all of this - your work is beautiful and SO out of the box!

Jo in NZ said...

Margaret, my mum has one of those spoons. I don't know if it is double ended, but it had the carving and the three balls, I thought that represented the number of children you would have. I will ask if she still has it tucked away in a drawer somewhere. You have my memory going now.

Dianne said...

Such a lovely story Mags. The cover of the book is beautiful - it looks like the images have been etched in. Lovely postcards too.

StegArt said...

Your round robin book cover looks so beautiful. I look forward to you sharing the inside pages.

Scraps of Bev said...

Mags the cover of the book is just gorgeous can't wait for you to show us the pages inside.

Sweet of you to post up Barbara's notbook..it was a my pleasure to send it to you..you have been a great inspiration to me!!

Helen Suzanne said...

what a lovely cover Mags. It will be great to look inside as you show us.

Joanna van said...

What a great mail day you had!

SeamRippstress said...

What a beautiful round robin journal and wonderful mail! I'm enjoying your blog and what a beautiful part of the world you live.

Carol said...

Wow! your book looks gorgeous. What fun it must have been. I am looking forward to seeing the pages revealed.

Carol said...

The book cover is beautiful, after hearing about your book, it will be lovely to see inside over the coming weeks.
what a lovely postbag today

Carol said...

The book cover is beautiful, after hearing about your book, it will be lovely to see inside over the coming weeks.
what a lovely postbag today

Micki said...

Your book cover is beautiful. I enjoy your stories you share, and I can't wait to see the pages from the book.