Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Mary Sleigh 1


Mary Sleigh is the author of the interesting book African Inspirations in Embroidery and I was fortunate enough to take a course called 'African sources as inspiration for design' with her at the North Wales Embroiderers Guild Annual weekend of courses at Plas Tan y Bwlch.
Plas Tan y Bwlch is the Snowdonia National Park Authority's Environmental and Studies Centre and education Services, a place that is very close to my heart.
Mary's website is called Lizard Dance
She is also a member of the Practical Study Group textile artists and tutors

It was a wonderfully inspirational and educational course which I really enjoyed. Mary had brought with her a large variety of African artifacts which we were allowed to study closely and take photos of. You can tell Mary loves these artifacts very much, but I felt it was more important for her to share the love of these with us than having her precious African Artifacts being damaged by being handled by students. It was a wonderful experience as some of these were quite old.

Below is the Raffia Cloth that I decided I was going to make a study of and use as my inspiration for the weekend work. (To be continued)



6 comments:

Stitching with Schnauzer and Siamese said...

How exciting. Thanks for all the links. Hope you post some more about the workshop. Sooooo inspirational.

Maggie

Sue B said...

ooh lucky you, what a great workshop. That fabric is gorgeous, can't wait to see what it inspires you to create.

Purple Missus said...

Lucky you Mags, I do so admire Mary Sleigh. Looking forward to hearing more about your weekend.

Alis said...

That sounds like a wonderful time. How great to be able to handle those fantastic things.
Hugs, Alis

Julaine Lofquist-Birch said...

What an incredible time it must have been...

Oh, and you've been tagged - please check my blog!

Susan D said...

I've just ordered her book so look forward to hearing more about your workshop.