Thursday, May 03, 2007

Mary Sleigh 2

Mary asked us all to choose an artifact from her private collection, take it with us to our table and make a detailed study of it. I have never taken the details of an object as seriously as this. I looked around me quickly and 'eyeballed' this piece of raffia work. It took someone a long time to weave and stitch this piece. At the bottom you can see the reverse side of the work.


We were told that all of us take a look at something and think we know it, but I now know this is not true, it needs to be looked at properly taking time and sketching the details. You do not need to be able to draw to do this but I just happen to enjoy sketching.




We then prepared loads of coloured paper using methods demonstrated by Mary, for example Monoprinting, Sgraffito and Block Printing. Here is a selection of the papers I prepared.



They have been arranged repeatedly to try and get a pleasing design. but I rearranged them again later. (To be continued)

10 comments:

Sue B said...

What fun Mags! Those papers are really cool. I wish I could sketch like that.

Judy Scott said...

Margaret this is fabulous I love your sketches and your painted papers are divine, cant wait to see the next bit!! Love Judy x

Carol said...

This looks like a lot of fun and your sketches are wonderful. I am looking forward to seeing the next stage.

Fran├žoise said...

Your sketches and decorated papers look great.
And how lucky you are to be able to work with Mary Sleigh.

Micki said...

Love your papers. I so envy your sketching talent.

Stitching with Schnauzer and Siamese said...

Thanks for sharing part 2 with us Mags, I will try and wait patiently for the next instalment. Such a lot of inspiration.

Maggie

feltedfibers said...

Sounds like you had a fab weekend, look forward to seeing the progression of your work.

Liz said...

This looks fascinating, Mags. I will keep an eye out for the next instalment...

Scraps of Bev said...

As you know I have a special reason to want to see work by Mary so I was especially pleased to pick up on this in your blog!!

Your talent at just doing a sketch is amazing and I love the decorated papers!

Dianne said...

All those papers look petty cool!!