Sunday, May 20, 2007

Mary Sleigh

I have a rare treat for you today. Mary(Sleigh) who wrote the African Inspirations in Embroidery book sent me a photo of a detail of work she has made using the stitch I described here. She gave me permission to share this with you all. It's called Starch and Ochre, a piece of work that used that stitch that she showed us all on the course at Plas Tan y Bwlch. "The panel celebrates the textile skills that are passed on from generation to generation. - a universal language don't you think?" These are Mary's own words. She used gesso on this piece as she is particularly interested in the surface.
Here is Mary's website Lizard Dance.



This is one of my favourite photos. Mary is demonstrating The Stitch Without Name.


This is a detail of Mary's new piece Starch and Ochre.


Here is a closeup of part of the detail where you can see this stitch clearly on the blue at the left of this image.
Below is my very clumsy effort in class.



Now we must come downs to earth and these are the last 3 of my efforts for the In the Eye of the Beholder postcard swap.



7 comments:

Sue B said...

I'd like to get my hands on a copy of Mary's book but it looks like it's out of print :(

Those postcards are too cool!

Dianne said...

My local textile shop has Mary's book, and I keep looking at it, putting it down, picking it up - I know I will give in to temptation - I always do!!! Love the cards - 2 birds and a chimp - well done!!

Fran├žoise said...

Mary's book is a great one! I'm glad I bought when it came out.
Love your new postcards.

Alis said...

Love Mary's work and your piece too.

The postcards are great. My favouite is the last one.
Hugs, Alis

meggie said...

I love the 2 birds the most! I am not such a fan of primates.
But, OH your work is wonderful!
A constant joy for me to see!

Elizabeth said...

Mags!
I must tell you that your blog is a wonderful trip for me and a constant source of inspiration. I would love to take a class with MAry Sleigh! Thanks so much for the little tutorials that you have shared with us here! Your work is amazing and I really love the digital work thta you did with the ochre pattern that you put together in Mary's class!!Elizabeth

Nola said...

Thanks for sharing Mary's work; it looks great! Must go and suss out the link. I love the postcards, especially the birds. The colours you've used work really well with these subjects, don't they?