Friday, June 29, 2007

Shapes I like to use


Carol of A Stitch in Time asked this question today. "Do you have a symbol or design that crops up regularly in your work?"
It made me think about the shapes that crop up fairly regularly in my work and I went to have a look in some of my old sketchbooks.
I do like curvy shapes and like to draw an amoeba like shape which is quick and easy. A flower shape which is also quick and easy and the wavy shapes which I have loved since City and Guilds days.

Plas Tan y Bwlchis full of shapes and symbols in the carvings and stonework and I find myself using these in my work regularly. I think Deb Hardman of Cold Feet Quilter will recognise one of them as it was used to screen print part of an ATC I sent her. The other shape is also from Plas Tan y Bwlch and can be found all over the place. It crops up regularly in my work. Thanks for making me think about this Carol.


I took these photos at Abakhan today.

8 comments:

Susan said...

I love the orange flowers! Gorgeous. That's an interesting question. I know that in crazy quilting, there's a stitch I use a lot, and a motif I do often. Which is made with that stitch, too, come to think of it. But a shape. I'll have to contemplate that one.

Stitchety Grub said...

Hi that is a very interesting question ... I have reoccurring shapes too but hadn't really thought about it until I read your entry ...simple shapes of the following ... Falcon birds (my Native American totem ... I am 1/16th apparently!) also Elephants and Koi type fish they have been appearing regularly since I did my C&G 5 years ago haha! oh and the odd dragon too!
Britt :-D

Maggie Grey said...

It ws great to see Carol's piece again. She was a super student - so were you Margaret!

I've been thinking about shapes and decided that I'm wavy lines with blobs each side of them. Sounds a bit like a Lava Lamp, think I'll go back to the drawing board!

Maggie G

Shirley Goodwin said...

Lovely poppies. It's interesting that some shapes appeal to us more than others.

meggie said...

How pretty!

Deb H said...

Ooo..nice texture in the bark with the ivy, I particularly love that photo.

I too have repeating images & shapes.

jackie said...

Just to say I really like your banner - it may not be new, perhaps I have missed it before. Makes me think I should get a new one.

Ali Honey said...

My answer to that question , may sound a bit strange; but for me my most frquently occuring shape is a Hexagon;( for cutting and quilting ) because of what I am making.
I have a frequently used stitch as well. It is blanket stitch with a loop so it stays tensioned while you take the next stitch. I used it first for felt balls and now for my hexagon quilts.( it's very strong.)