Wednesday, August 29, 2007

A favourite motif


Some of you may remember I have a favourite motif from Plas Tan y Bwlch. Each time I visit I search for this little motif. One has been lost already, it was carved in stone in a room that used to be the bar, but alterations were made and the carved stone in the wall has disappeared and I seem to be the only one who has missed it.


This is one of the pillars that held up the veranda, but has been used as part of the new conservatory.


I was sitting having a cup of coffee in a cafe in Chester and I noticed my little motif on the black and white wall of the building opposite. There is a slight difference but I have a feeling it came from the same source, I believe they had design books in the 19th Century and people chose the motifs they wanted on their buildings.


These are samples I've made over the years using this motif. I hasten to add that these were unsuccessful attempts and are in the UFO pile!


5 comments:

Dianne said...

How can they be called unsuccessful!!? They look great to me....

StegArt said...

Yeah, listen to Dianne, would ya? It's somewhat sad when old architecture and such gets changed for new.

Susan D said...

Quite agree how can you think they are unsuccessful!!! Amazing the places you can find inspiration isn't it.

Clevelandgurlie said...

Isn't it wonderful to live in a place where you can be having a cup of coffee, look across the street at a 19th century building and find such beautiful inspiration!! I live in North Carolina in the US, and while I get my coffee from a Starbucks in a shopping center parking lot, many times I take it to go and drink it while driving through the country (corn fields and tobacco fields) with the top to my jeep down and my favorite country music station on. I have photographed many old barns (probably 19th century!) this way, and they have given me much inspiration, as well!
Your 19th century inspired designs are amazing -- and they should be immediately taken OUT of the UFO pile - this minute!!

MargaretR said...

OK, OK Cathie, I'll go and finish them this minute .LOL
We have a Starbucks in Chester too and you can sit there to look at some lovely buildings as well. Which I often do as I love their Granola Bars.