Saturday, September 08, 2007

Embroiderers Guild Wales

As usual click for larger images.

A small sample of Carol Coleman 's work


Students work

We had a wonderful 3 day event of courses at Plas Tan y Bwlch, from lunchtime on Wednesday until Friday afternoon. This was the first event organised by Embroiderers Guild Wales at Plas Tan y Bwlch and there were three courses -

Carol Coleman..... Textile Jewellery
Heidi Jenkins..... Beading
Mary Spence....... Designs with Felting

I took the Textile Jewellery course with Carol Coleman, but I know I would have enjoyed the other two courses as well. I have a habit of saying after each course I do, this was the best one yet and I really mean it each time. The standard of tutoring is all of such a very high standard.
We all had a wonderfully creative time. Most of the students attending have reached a very high standard with the City and Guilds courses over the years and it must be very difficult for tutors to find something new and different to teach. I think Carol's work interested everyone and I for one learned so many new things in a few days.

These were some of the smallest pieces from the collection.



More of Carol's work


I have to admit that my images of her lovely treasures are not up to my usual standards, sorry Carol! I think I was too hasty taking them as I wanted to get back to my own work. The largest and best pieces of work were furthest from the light I think. I did get up very early on Friday morning to take photos which Carol kindly told us we could. She was very trusting and left all this beautiful work lying around the whole time for us to touch, study and try on whenever we wanted. You will be able to see far better images of her work on her website Fibredance. This is well worth a visit.

Fibredance


You can also buy her new book there, if you cannot get to one of Carol's classes you will still be able to do the work from this book as it is so clearly written with useful images and captions for those who don't like to read everything, but is also written in detail for those who prefer that. It's a very well written book.


That's Carol the tutor standing on the left with a camera n her hand, the others are ladies I have made friends with at courses over the years.

I do hope they like the photos I took as they were carefully studying our work (smile) I know they will be looking at this post at some stage.

Here are some of the things they are studying. The student's work.


Chris, Angela, Jan, Edith and Ann (the organiser)


9 comments:

Sue B said...

Her work is amazing! I've already ordered her book. The students work is wonderful - which piece is yours Mags?

Gunnels blog said...

What a wonderful work! Very beautiful!

Judy Scott said...

Im so pleased you had a wonderful time ~ she is such a generous tutor and I really enjoyed watching her work when we did a class with her. The student work is fabulous ~ I too want to know which is yours?? :)Jx

Dorothy said...

Looks great M glad you enjoyed it.... Like the others I need to know which is yours please?
Dorothy

Stitching with Schnauzer and Siamese said...

Thanks for showing us Carol's work..very impressed. I particularly like the watch straps...so clever. Which is yours??

Best wishes

Maggie

Micki said...

Looks like a fun class. The pieces are amazing. You will have to show us your work.

Liz said...

You do seem to have had fun, Mags. Lovely work.

Dianne said...

Hey Mags
your piece is BEAUTIFUL, really, and Carols work is stunning. Thanks so much I was drooling on her site..

Dianne said...

Oh Mags, this is such yummy, yummy stuff!! I think I'm going too have to get this book too!!!!