Sunday, January 27, 2008

A dress

I was wondering whether it was wise to post this as I'm sure you will all think I'm a bit mad. I was working myself up to creating something rather special with my screen prints when I had one of those 'what if' moments. There were two pieces of fabrics of a similar size next to each other and the colours looked good together. So I thought, what if I wove these together? I placed them right sides together and drew nice curves across them and cut both exactly the same. I had always wanted to try this and I wasn't sure what to do next. However I just put them together and before I had finished I noticed I'd designed a dress. Not as good as Zandra Rhodes of course, but still a nice looking dress. Now my friends all know I can see images in the strangest places and I had just found one here. I decided to go with the flow and if you compare dress one with dress two you will see how little needed to be changed to finish it off.


This is one of the fabrics I used.


Dress one. Do you like the big stand up collar?


Dress two. Do you think Zandra knew I was using her as inspiration and gave me a little help? It's definitely doing its best to look like a Zandra Rhodes creation.

8 comments:

Gina said...

Not in the least bit mad Mags - that dress design is SO Zandra Rhodes - it's fabulous! Could this be the start of a new career!
Gina x

Sue B said...

Mags this is just too cool!

Annette J said...

I love doing that, putting two pieces together then cutting and sewing them back together you just never know what turns up.

Love the colours you've used and think they look very oriental.

Thank you for your kind comment on my blog.

Luv Annette

Gwen said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this! You are very creative, this is so original and so in the spirit of Zandra!

Vicki W said...

What a fabulous tribute to Zandra!

Pat said...

This is very clever and such fun.

Sandy said...

Our subconsious certainly gets into the picture. The designs are nice. Sandy

Sally Webster said...

Love where you're going Mags. Things are looking just superb!