Friday, January 04, 2008

Zandra Rhodes

“Take it Further” is the new Challenge set by Sharon B of In a Minute Ago. This has been taken up by 293 textile artists. The aim is to apply textile technique skills to design. The challenge will run all year in 2008.

The Challenge

On the 1st of each month Sharon will post the idea, and each one has to develop it and push it towards a resolved design during that month. In other words you interpret the idea and apply it to fiber or paper. There is a second option which will be a colour scheme, they can be a combination of both or just using one of the options.

The first challenge is not for the feint of heart!
The key concept for January is a feeling we have all had, the feeling of admiration for another. Ask yourself who do you look up to and admire? Why? What is it you admire about them? This is a the first Take it Further challenge in 2008. Take the idea, develop it into a resolved design during that month and apply it to fiber or paper.

And here is the colour scheme for this month, but I don't think I will be using this colour scheme for my challenge as my most admired person is Zandra Rhodes whose colours are definitely not in this category.


Below is a photo of Zandra which I took myself some years ago at a function where I met her and was thrilled when she autographed my programme.


I have blogged about this before Here. I have also joined the Flickr 'Take it Further' group and I have put this photo in the gallery. I must admit that even though I have belonged to Flickr for a while I hardly ever use it as I find it rather slow on my laptop for some reason.

6 comments:

Sandy said...

Zandra is one of my favorites too. Sandy

Susan said...

Hi!
Happy New Year! I've really enjoyed your recent photographs and look forward to seeing more as you learn to use the new model to the MAX! I will also be eager to see how you've handled the new. monthly design challenges as well as all your other totally artistic work.
Susan

Gina said...

Happy New Year Mags.

I went to a talk by Zandra Rhodes some years ago and just loved her style and colour. A very inspirational lady. I've actually started a doll inspired by her but it's still in my unfinished pile! Maybe I'll blog about it one day soon.

Gina x

Julie said...

Zandra Rhodes is certainly a colourful, strong lady and I'll look forward to seeing where you go with this source of inspiration.

Kim said...

Zandra does seem to be unique!

downunderdale said...

you lucky thing to meet Zandra Rhodes in person - I obtained a book on her many years ago and it has inspired me so many times - the slashed garments - very Elizabethan - must get it out again
Dale