Sunday, February 03, 2008

Internet problems

I don't think I've blogged this one before, but it's a mask I made of a Welsh story from the Mabinogi. She's called Blodeuwedd and was created form the trees and flowers so that she would become the wife of the Welsh prince, Lleu. But she was as wild as the the trees and the flowers from which she was created and she was unfaithful so the wizard that created her turned her into an owl. This is a part of my childhood memories. My father used to tell me these tales before I went to bed.


I've been having the strangest problems with my Internet connection the last couple of days which made me think I needed to do a bit of housekeeping on my laptop. So today I have spent most of my time getting rid of some programs and running Check on my disk. It's still running slow after all that.
While I've been waiting for things to happen I've had plenty of time to go up and down Memory Lane and find I have so many things I remember for Sharon B's new February challenge. Perhaps this will be another Journal? Far too many memories for one piece of work.
Where shall I start? My very first recollections are of the house we just called 24. my cousins lived next door in 25. there were about 5 steps to go up to the front door which was painted green and underneath the garden there was a coalhouse with a green door. The wall surrounding the coalhouse was covered with purple and white flowers. I remember that the mauve ones were Aubrietas, the white flowers were very similar but I can't remember what those were called.
I remember my mother made wreaths for friends and family bereavements with these flowers. I don't know where she learned to make them, but she used moss and wire and they looked very professional.

11 comments:

Annette J said...

What a wonderful Owl and funnily enough I had a welsh grandfather who told me the story too.

MargaretR said...

Thanks Annette. I wonder which part of Wales your Granfather came from?

Sue B said...

Mags that mask is very cool! I thought you might be having internet problems, I've been trying to email you but they keep coming back undeliverable :(

Sandy said...

The mask is great. Remembering houses would make a nice series. Sandy

arlee said...

Wow, what a great face piece! I love the dimension and contrast---just a gem!

Carol said...

Oh Mags Mae Ellie wedi fod more hapus i weld Blodeuwedd. mae wedi bod yn dysgu am dano yn yr ysgol! Mae wedi bod yn atgoffa fi am y straeon. Dwi'n hoffi hi yn fawr iawn, hoffi'r lliwiau yn enwedig. Wedodd Ellie mae'n troi mewn i tulluan un syth!

clevelandgirlie said...

This should be a very special challenge for you Mags as I can see you have a "wealth" of memories to draw from. I look forward to your sharing more of those as they translate from memory into art.

MixPix said...

Hi! I've 'tagged' you. Take a look at my blog for the details. http://fibrefan.blogspot.com/

MixPix said...

Hi! I've 'tagged' you. Take a look at my blog for the details. http://fibrefan.blogspot.com/

Gwen said...

This piece is amazing, and I love the story. I love the old stories from Wales, quite an interesting mythology.

You did this beautifully!

glynts said...

The story was popularised by Alan Garner in his children's novel 'The Owl Service' in the '70s

... one of the first books I reviewed when at library school in Aberystwyth

...sorry to intrude! Love your site