Wednesday, April 30, 2008

April TIF

The 30th of April already and I have missed the deadline for my TIF Challenge. I have every intention of finishing it, but possibly quite a bit late this time. I thought I'd show you a few more of the embroideries I made when I was young. Those little changes in style over the years that I intend to create a piece of work from.


This is part of a large tablecloth and this bunch of flowers is repeated on every corner, plus a border around the side. This was made for my 'bottom drawer', but I still have one corner to finish. It was started around 1958-9 I wonder if it's the record for a WIP?


Another from the same era, but finished and used for years. there was far less work on this one.


This one goes back further and is part copied from a book and part designed by myself. I used Reckitt's Blue, I think that was what it was called. Normally used to whiten clothes and it was mixed into a paste with sugar and a drop of hot water if I remember correctly. I then painted the design onto baking parchment, let it dry completely, then placed it upside down on the fabric and ironed it. It transferred the pattern to the fabric as good as any commercial transfer paper.


This was part of a dressing table set which also went out of fashion before I finished.

6 comments:

Sara said...

Hi, now that may be the record for a WIP...

How's my castle doing???

Cathy W said...

I LOVE them!
I have some of my Mom's embroidery, as well as her mom, my grandma whom I never knew. Don't know if I have any of my own early embroideries -- have one by my baby sister (who's all grown up now & loves it not when I call her my baby sister). I too plan on doing something with my old linens & embroiders ... but you do clearly hold a 50 year WIP record!

Genie said...

Definatley a record. still lovely work.

Alis said...

Beautiful work Mags. Definitely a record I think.

I have a table cloth that my Nan embroidered in blue willow pattern. She worked on it in the shelters during the war - what a story it could tell.

Doreen G said...

This all brings back wonderful memories Margaret-----I have a tablecloth that I was embroidering before I got married and it still has one corner left to do also--and I am sure it will never get finished.

Sandy said...

I think we made some of the same embroideries.