Thursday, April 03, 2008

Journal 1 (Sue Bleiweiss Online Class)

I don't seem to have many spare minutes in my days any more, but as many as I have, I've been using them to make this journal. I am taking an online class with Sue Bleiweiss, who is the publisher of the zine 'Fibre and Stitch'. She still has a few vacancies and if you click on the title it should take you straight to her website. It's a great group and the lessons are well worth taking.


Journal 1 is going to be a journal about the women in my family. By the way Sue's first set of lessons here does not teach you how to journal, but how to make the journals to suit your needs.


This photo shows the inside of the cover, unfortunately for some reason there's a lot of blue coming out here which was not there. It's supposed to be beigy grey. I have a new printer which I don't yet understand properly, although photographs print out beautifully anything I have made in a paint program looks very insipid, so I need to have a poke about, read the instructions online and tweak a little I think. It's a Kodak all in one. Then I need to print out new tags for this journal.


The print for the cover was chosen as a reminder of the large wraparound aprons my Nain(GM)always wore. The green on the inside is the colour of her kitchen walls and the antique lace reminds me of the lace border on her mantelpiece. I wanted this journal to have an aged look, so I have used teabags to colour all the pages and I've machine stitched most of the page edges and pocket tops as shown below. Tonight I am going to start another for a friend who is having a very special birthday this week.



10 comments:

Carol said...

Wow, these are lovely Mags. Love the apron thing. I have been looking at the wesh shawl and wrapping for my C+g, sort of on the same wavelegnth. I would love one of those wrap round ones now, but you don't see them anymore.

Sandy said...

Nice journal. It is a great class.

Vicki W said...

It's beautiful!

Genie said...

Lovely work.

StegArt said...

Fabulous Mags! I am so hoping to get started on a journal later today yet or tomorrow. Can't wait after seeing all the lovely ones that everyone is making.

Helen Suzanne said...

lovely Mags, I really like the stitching through the pages.

Dorothy said...

Hi M,
Love it! I wish I had made mine now instead of using a Moleskine!

Micki said...

Fantastic journal.

Kim said...

Your journal is lovely Mags. I like the stitching on the pages, nice touch.

Dianne said...

This is great Mags!! Love it!