Saturday, August 16, 2008

A great week


This last week has been a wonderful week for me. Busy, tiring but oh, so enjoyable.
It started off last Friday with a weekend in Cardiff at the National Eisteddfod of Wales where the choir my husband belongs to Cor Meibion Maelgwn was competing. They did not win this year, but they came first three years ago. Going somewhere with the choir is such fun, they joke and tease each other and it is all taken in good part. There's always laughter somewhere in the background.
Just so no one thinks our National Eisteddfod is all about music and poetry, this work is from the Art and Craft pavillion. First is the work of well known Welsh textile artist Bethan Ash .




This next exhibit was a very strange one by Jeanette Orell. I thought it was rather creepy but when I read the explanation here Axis artwork search it makes sense. As it was all white and in a glass case it was very difficult to photograph. It looked like a child's ballet dress, but all the stitching seems to have been done using curly ginger hair, which was her daughter's hair. If you look carefully you can see it in the close-up. The other is a closeup of 'Scratch Mittens'.





I seem to have been making up for lost time, so I will leave the rest for another day.
I have also posted our AGM on SerenTex with another longer video clip of the entertainment.

4 comments:

Sue B said...

I really like those pieces by Bethan.

Helen Suzanne said...

I'm not so sure about the hairy dress. I have a winter vest that got stuck with hairs like that after a trip to the hair dressers... I had to throw it out;) I probably should get out more and see more art :D

sesga loves 1950s said...

Hello Margret
I was getting worried about you I'm glad you are okay !
It sounds like you had a great time at the Eisteddfod.
Roedd Dad Robin yn canu yn yr Eisteddfod mae o ar fy blog rhaid i ti fyd a clywed o fe gafodd o Ail ,Sudd yn dda iawn mae on 72 a roedd o yn canu yn erbyn hogia ifanc.
Falch i cael ti yn nol
Gan sesga xxxx

Liz said...

I love Bethan Ash's work! I saw a FibreArts Wales exhibition in Newport, and remember hers in particular. Did you see her quilt in Quilt 2008 at FOQ?