Monday, September 08, 2008

Gothic Arch


I finished my arch yesterday and I'm quite pleased with it. The colours in the photo haven't turned out well, but it's near enough.
This is a 12 month swap of one arch a month. This one is for Carol of Taylor's textile trials who's the owner of the TextileChallenges Yahoo Group. Carol wanted a Gothic, metalic. patternated arch using burgundies, blues, purples reds and metalic her favourite colours.
I found this Letter C with a sort of Gothic background of a dragon and I thought it would be very suitable as she is Welsh like myself. I played with it in PaintShopPro and printed it out on Heat Transfer Paper for light coloured fabrics (yellow grid) from Crafty Computer Papers. This is not shiny or thick and difficult to stich into as the ordinary TShirt Transfer paper. You peel it off the paper backing and place it where you need it before covering it and ironing well with a hot iron.
This was the first time I had tried it and I think it could be very useful. I ironed it on a smooth cotton fabric, but next time I will try a coarser fabric, linen perhaps or even a hessian as I find it a little too perfect on the cotton.

detail
I'd felted some wool tops onto a dark purple base using my embellisher and cut out a letter C from it, which was then stitched down using a gold metalic thread and a triple stitch, this is one of my favourite machine stitches.


This afternoon I have a SerenTex meeting and we are all going to have a demonstration from Rosemary on how she makes her lovely shell pieces, then everyone who wants to is going to have a go. so I must go and choose some threads and fabric to take with me.

12 comments:

sesga loves 1950s said...

Carol is going to love the arch you made her, is beautiful.
The shell work is beautiful , to see it in real life which I did in Tan Y Bwlch its Amazing !!.
I will look forward to what you make in serentex, please show us on your blog .
Sorry am y sesneg!!
love from sesga xx

Sue B said...

oooh Mags that arch is fabulous!

Genie said...

Beautiful work Mags.

Mermaid's Purse said...

The transfer paper works really well - like you say, better than some of those I've tried. I love working with shells and am sure you'll all have great fun!

Alis said...

That is a beautiful arch Mags. Carol will love it I'm sure.

How exciting to work with shells. looking forward to seeing what you do.

Fran├žoise said...

Beautiful arch!
This transfer paper sounds interesting.

Carol said...

I love it I love it!!!!! Fab Mags, fel arfer!!!!!! Oh I can't wait till it is in mt sticky hands!!! Diolch o Galon. Cariad mawr.

Jacquelines blog said...

Looks Great!!!

Micki said...

Love the arch Mags. Rosemary's shellwork looks fantastic, so much texture!

Sandy said...

Wonderful arch. I bet you had fun stitching shell pieces.

Laura said...

The arch is beautiful Mags! I'm also looking forward to seeing what you learn about working with the shells!

tommy said...

I am particularly drawn into the rich vibrant royal purple and magenta mixes of the fabric you used in the "C". The astounding contrast is very eye catching and mouth watering at the same time! Your photo makes me wish I could touch it almost!