Sunday, October 05, 2008

The Saga of the Decaying Catalogue


As some of you know I live in a Flat(Apartment) and we moved here because I loved the view. We do have a garden, looked after by a gardener, but when you want to hide a catalogue under a bush, it does create a slight problem. The gardener would probably throw it away and my neighbours would think I was mad if they saw me hiding it there and checking on it every few weeks. Maggie Grey fans will all know what I'm talking about here and for the odd one who doesn't know, take a look here.
Maggie's latest book, Textile Translations - Mixed Media is out and you will be able to order it at D4daisy Books Maggie Grey Textile Explorations page


But the Gods took a hand and as I was out walking this afternoon I came across an old catalogue already decaying nicely! My only worry is that it was already hidden by another Maggie fan. My husband accompanied me and reminded me how many dogs were taken walking along the lane every day, so I came home without it. I e-mailed a few Dodger friends and another Maggie Maggie Harris would you believe, persuaded me to take out my rubber gloves and a plastic bag and go back for it. Which I immediately did, just in case someone else took a fancy to it. I got DH to take a photo of me on the way out. Does that make it Three Mad Maggies do you think?


I went over the style and crossed the railway line, waited until a few of the other walkers had gone by, looking furtively to each side, using my rubber gloves I shook off the insects that lived in it and put it in my plastic bag.



I took a photo of it in situe first though.


Then another after washing it carefully in the sink. It's very fragile.


Now it is drying in the sun in our little sun room, this will take some time I should think though as we don't get many sunny days any more.

10 comments:

Gina said...

I'm intrigued to see what these are all going to turn out like! possibly a little mad but wonderful!

coral-seas said...

Isn't that cover fabulous? If someone else left that they are going to be so p..... off that it is gone. I hope that they read your blog to see what you do with it :)

Heather said...

Your soggy catalogue looks even better than the 'dreadful thing on the path' that my daughter brought home for me. When I say better, I mean worse - if you know what I mean! My others are still in the garden and if they get any wetter I'm not sure I'll be able to lift them to bring them indoors. Maggie said to leave them out until she said to bring them in, so am following her instructions. Do you have a balcony you could put yours on? What a relief it is to be able to talk to others about the strange things we do in the name of art!! So many people just wouldn't understand, and several are related to me!!

Sue B said...

Well I can't wait to see what this turns into!

Laura said...

How boring life would be if we didn't do crazy things! I loved this post Maggie.

Fran├žoise said...

Interesting...
Some people are a bit crazy, aren't they?
:-))

maggi said...

Oh dear - are we supposed to have started drying them out, must have missed that somewhere. What a find though, certainly looks 'better' than mine.

MixPix said...

This post definitely makes you sound like a nutter, way out there on the thin twigs of the tree, but I've been following the catalogue thing that the other Maggie started, and you found a real treasure there - love the "in situ" pic & looking forward to your finished piece.

Jackie said...

Yes definitely three mad maggies..and a mag.

Stitching with Schnauzer and Siamese said...

Hi Mags
Just got around to commenting.... great photos... hope you have forgiven me for making you go and collect it..However it is fantastic... I am green with envy!
Best Wishes
Maggie (one of the other ones)