Saturday, January 03, 2009

A Happy New Year to you all

As I wish you all a very happy and creative new year, I'm pleased to say mine has had a really good start. The last 3 months of 2008 have seemed hectic to me, partly because I was not particularly organised. I had too many things going at the same time and was not very focused. The year ended with many things outstanding. So, this year I have a Calendar up on the wall where I will study it every day to make sure I don't miss any important events and have everything ready on time. My friends will know why I'm doing this as I missed a couple of classes that I had been looking forward to very much due to rushing around too much during the last couple of months.


I love taking part in swaps and have had been involved in some wonderful ones over the years. It's very important to finish and send your work to the recipient in time, but this time I got behind. I should have had them all done before December 31st. They are now packed and ready to post on Monday. If you take part in swapping you will know how wonderful it is to anticipate receiving a work of art from anywhere in the world and how disappointing it can be when they do not arrive. The one above was one of the most enjoyable to make. I wanted something to do with the ocean and I was just doodling on a piece of paper when this fish appeared, I then traced it onto a Nappy Liner and placed it behind a piece of silky fabric in a circular hoop, then free machined it from the wrong side, turned it over and did the FME again from the right side.


This fairy is rather shy and is hiding in the flowers.


This is a Victorian arch using an image created on the computer and printed on an A4 sheet of paper previously dipped in tea and dried. It was scrunched up well to give it an aged look, I then used the embellisher to attach it to some felt, using fleece and lace with some hand stitching to finish.



This was made using some threads and wool dropped randomly before using the embellisher to punch them in lightly, with a little imagination I saw a woman crossing the moors in the snow with her baby in her arms and a pack on her back. She's wearing a bonnet and her shawl is blowing in the wind. I do hope the recipient can see what I see. With a little difficult maybe.

This is why I enjoy 'swaps', each one is a challenge and so very different. They seem to demand a different technique and use colours that are not my usual choice. If you don't do 'swaps' and find yourself unmotivated and not stitching, then do have a go, join one of the Yahoo groups or a one to one swap with a friend.

13 comments:

Heather said...

Your arch designs are all lovely Margaret, and so different from each other. I love the idea of swaps but am not sure I would have enough time, on a regular basis, to keep up to schedule. I find I can run out of steam very easily these days, and then my creativity seems to disappear. Look after yourself and don't work too hard.

Carol said...

Ah we were all behind! That's why this years is a bi-monthly, easier al round! Lovely finish to your year of arches.

Shirley Anne Sherris said...

Love the arches and I think the recipient will see the lady - I saw it before I read the text.
Cheers
Shirley

sesga loves 1950s said...

Beautiful arches !!!
Blwyddyn newydd dda i ti DG
gan sesga xxxxxx

Gina said...

Lovely arch designs - the fairy is my favourite. Happy New Year Mags.

Sandy said...

Those are wonderful arches-lucky recipients.

Mary lin Huskamp said...

LOVE these. Colors and designs are BEAUTIFUL!

... Paige said...

I was gonna tell you about Project365, but you are a project 365.

Commitment takes a lot of commitment

Genie said...

Happy New Year Mags
some lovely work

Jacquelines blog said...

Happy New Year to you too Mags.

Ro Bruhn said...

Beautiful arches Margaret, and a happy and arty 2009 to you. I too love the waistcoat in an earlier post, I might have to look that pattern up.

Carol said...

I love your arches Mags. Each one different and beautiful. I know what you mean about exchanges. I haven't taken part ion any of my groups for a while because of other commitments now it's difficult to take part again I've been away for so long.

Michele said...

Lovely arches! Thanks for posting them.