Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Another ATC


This morning I received this lovely ATC from Corryna Janssen in the Netherlands. This is her website Corryna's blog


I was thrilled when my friend Rhiannon brought me this old newspaper she thought I'd be interested in. She must be doing an early Spring Clean! The date on it is April 29 1949. I was 12 at this time and this newspaper has reminded me of how much everything was changed.


Do any of you remember when nylon stockings started to be available? You can see from this advert that they were very new and difficult to get hold of at this time. It was a couple of years later that I had my first pair, bought for me by my big brother. They were nothing like those you wear today, they were far nicer and softer and lasted longer. They were more luxurious.

My brother was doing his National Service and was sent to Amman in Jordan and later went to Egypt because of the troubles in the Suez Canal and his National Service lasted far longer than it should have to my mother's great concern. He remembered being in a Guard of Honour to King Hussein who was at the time in a public school in England and had arrived home by plane.
His suitcase was full of gifts for myself and my mother. How I wish I still had those gifts to share with you.

11 comments:

Aussie Jo said...

That newspaper is amazing. It would be wonderful to copy and use in some textile pieces.
I love the cushion from the previous post also, can I buy a raffle ticket???

Laura said...

Hi Mags, isn't it amazing how our memories are triggered? It seems that the newspaper took you way back to your youth. How the world has changed in the past 50 or 60 years!
Btw thanks a million for my lovely ATC. I posted about it yesterday.

Ati. Norway. said...

I do remember the first nylons :)The were strong and shiny and you could bring them to a repair shop to fix the ladder you got by accident .LOL . No buy and trow away society in those years!

Sandy said...

What fun reading the old newspaper.

Myfanwy said...

What a lovely memory, Mags. Thanks for sharing.

Gina said...

I enjoyed reading your memories Mags. Thank you for sharing them with us.

... Paige said...

Beautiful ATC, the more of these I see the more I want to play along; and the great old paper, what fun

Heather said...

I find old newspapers fascinating - will you use it in a piece of work? We are nearly twins Margaret, but next month I shall be a year older! Another great ATC.

Phyllis said...

Oh, that ATC is gorgeous!

corryna said...

Hi Mags, thank you so much for your wonderful ATC. I realy like the way you've packed it. It is something I can learn from. I am very happy with the trade.

Genie said...

Lovely ATC from Corryna, i had one too. lovely memories