Monday, March 23, 2009

Encaustic art

This afternoon I had intended trying to use my sunset photo as inspiration for some Encaustic art, painting and embellishing. I had just finished the Encaustic sample and was about to try a painting, hoping it would turn out to be easier for me! When the door bell went and it was a friend come to show me a church banner she's just finished. She's started it in 2004 when I gave her a little help with the design size. It has been a lot of work for her, but I'm sure you will agree that it turned out really well.


Below is the encaustic sunset which a few of you challenged me to make and believe me it was very difficult, but I won't give up, I shall try and try again until I'm happy with it (smile) But I do love the seagulls, it seems I really have got the knack now.



Tonight was the North Wales Embroiderers' Guild night and we had a talk and demo by a lady called Jan Gardner who was really inspiring. She is going to let me know when she has a course going locally. You will find her website here Jan Gardner. If you have a love of colour, then you will enjoy her work as much as I do.

9 comments:

Laura said...

You seem to be getting the hang of it Mags! Well done.

Guzzisue said...

Sunset pic looks great, nice to see this effect being used without the fantasy scenes that you often see :-)

Heather said...

Your encaustic sunset is so lovely - you must be pleased it has turned out so well, and I love the seagulls. Your friend's church banner is a great success too. It is quite hard to simplify the design enough for large pieces to be viewed from a distance, and still give impact. I'm just nipping over to look at Jan's site.

Genie said...

Encaustic art is fun. and you can keep playing until you are happy.
Have a great week

TracyB said...

Your sunset is gorgeous & you were right about the colors being very vibrant!! I received my encaustic aceo in the mail the other day & WOW, the richness of color is unbelievable!! I'm not sure if there is another media "out there" that can create such bold vibrant colors like encaustic does.

Carol said...

Your friend should be very proud of herself. The banner is wonderful and will be greatly appreciated I am sure.
The encaustic sunset is very good. It has the right feeling. Encaustic art is very difficult to control. it looks easy but is not easy to do well but I can see you are heading in the right direction.It looks like the birds are done with an iron. Do you have a stylus? Just take some scrap card to practice them on. also I like to practice corn.On my first pictures I did not do sky at all! I must get some pictures done soon.

Sandy said...

I like it.

maggi said...

The banner is lovely and thanks for the link to Jan Gardner's site - so colourful. The sunset picture is great too.

Alis said...

~Great sunset, very atmospheric and the seagulls are great.