Monday, March 16, 2009

My first attempts at Encaustic Art


I was horrified when I saw my Birthday photo and realised once again that longer hair really doesn't suit me. One of my daughters in law is my hairdresser and she cut it for me Friday evening and I feel 10 years younger (as I always do after a haircut). So I asked my husband to take this photo of me today. I'm usually on the other side of the camera. Do I look more like myself now Jackie? (BG)

Below are the pieces that pleased me most. The first one has been transferred to fabric and did not transfer very well as I obviously didn't use enough coloured wax.


I'm very pleased with the two below. the tree was put there to camouflage a spoilt bird and I think it's a good addition to the painting.




The one above is fantasy art and I'm going to enjoy these as I can look for unexpected images to play with. But my favourite one of all is this little bookmark which accidentally turned out to look like a sunset with stormy clouds gathering overhead.



I went to Chester today and met an old friend I hadn't seen for years who has a Craft Shop in Ellesmere Port in Cheshire, UK. She also has an on line shop here Crafters Corner and I said I'd give her a mention on the blog. Please go and have a look.

15 comments:

Liz said...

You look very smart, Mags! And I love that little bookmark too. And all your other pictures.

Carol said...

Welcome to the world of encaustic! I think the fabric transfer is about right. It never does come out any better than that in my experience.
Flickr have a few encaustic groups which you might find interesting to look at. Have you tried doing it straight onto tissue and stitching it?

maggi said...

Beautiful work. I have loved encaustic art since working with someone over 20 years ago who produced amazing fantasy images but I didn't realise that you could transfer it to fabric. The new you looks great too.

StegArt said...

Wow these encaustic pieces are wonderful! You look absolutely fabulous in your photo Mags!

Sandy said...

I love your encaustic work. Nice haircut too.

Heather said...

You have made some beautiful landscapes and you are right about the bookmark - those colours are so lovely. Your photo is lovely too on the earlier post. I didn't realise you could use encaustic wax on fabric and have only tried it on the recommended shiny board. I love your new photo portrait.

Ali Honey said...

Yes Mags that is a charming photo of you .....would have known you anywhere. lol.

Your encaustic works are interesting and I love the use of colour - the bookmark is very thought provoking, just abstract enough to suggest many ideas.

Vicki W said...

I admit that I had to look up encaustic art to see what it was. These are really cool and I hope that I don't try to get into doing this too!

Helen Suzanne said...

Mags! honestly you look wonderful. what a pretty photograph.

Laura said...

Love the haircut Mags!
I'm also unfamiliar with encaustic art - will have to do some research.

Gina said...

You look lovely! Very impressed with your wax pictures. I tried it once but without much success.

Jackie said...

You look very lovely indeed, and I liked it the other way too! We will have to meet up one day then I can check if you look like yourself in real life:-)

Micki said...

Wonderful artwork. I tried it once without much success. You look great in the photo.

Mermaids Purse said...

I love all the encaustic art pictures but think the "fantasy" one is my absolute favourite - they're really scrummy!!

Alis said...

Love the haircut, it looks great.

Love the encaustic art.