Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Texture


A few people have emailed me to ask how I made this textured piece above. So rather than write to each one separately I promised to explain it on the blog. It's really very simple.
I used Baby Wipes which I found in a bargain bin. When I came home I realised why they were there-yes, you guessed, they had dried out. So I opened the box and put the whole roll in a net bag and put it in with the wash. A few days later the roll was dry. Wet Wipes or any other type of cleansing wipes will work just as well. You could save your used wipes in a plastic bag for a period of time, then wash in a net or by hand.

To make a piece about 10" square I used 4 sheets.

Paint the sheets randomly with inks or leftover dyes, which is what I used here and leave them to dry.
Lay a piece of coloured cotton or poly-cotton on a plastic carrier bag, and paint it over with slightly thinned PVA glue. Using the plastic means it will peel off when dry.
Now take your painted Wet Wipes and dip each one in thinned down PVA before crushing the sheets in your hand and dropping them on the wet fabric. Accetuate the creases and folds as much as you can to create the texture, pressing in between each crease with your fingertips to stick them to the fabric. Overlaping the sheets slightly, so they will become one whole sheet when dry.


The next step involves painting the hollows and folds with matching colours of acrylics and metalic paints such as lumiere.
When these layers are dry they should peel off the plastic. Cut snips of organzas in bright colours and punch them in here and there with the embellisher or a felting needle if you wish.


Free machine stitching finishes it off nicely.

14 comments:

jan said...

Wow I will definitely have a go at this as we go through loads of wipes in our house I will start saving them!!

Vicki W said...

Very cool!

StegArt said...

Very very cool.

clare's craftroom said...

It looks fabulous !

Guzzisue said...

I've been wondering what to do with the half used packs that always get packed away with the camping kit and forgotten :-) Thanks for the inspiration. looks wonderful

Gina said...

The results are stunning!

maggi said...

Thanks for sharing the tehnique.

Carol said...

Fab Mags, love it.

Alis said...

Thank you Mags, that is definitely one to try.

Sandy said...

It's wonderful. Thanks for taking the time to explain it.

TracyB said...

Gorgeous!! I can see a journal cover coming from this :)

Heather said...

Thanks for the tutorial Mags - I had wondered too. Such simple materials and techniques, but a stunning result.

tangled stitch said...

Very cool use of recycled products and pretty too.

Judy Alexander said...

These are really neat. I just dyed some used dryer sheets with leftover Easter egg color and will try this with them. Thanks!