Friday, May 08, 2009

The dragon's mate

I'm a member of the Yahoo group Doodle Day and one challenge was to doodle a dragon and then the following week it was suggested that we doodle the dragon's counterpart. This reminded me of an image I played with in August 2003. I was staying at Plas Tan y Bwlch, a learning centre in beautiful North Wales.


I just love this little dragon which was presented to the centre by a retiring head gardener. The sculptor has shown this dragon with a chain around his neck as a reminder of how the Welsh were once so oppressed they were not even allowed to speak their own language.


He has his photo taken each time I visit Plas and I decided he looked so lonely and that he must have a secret life no one knew about when he was visited by his lady friend each evening when we were all asleep. I went looking for this image and it has inspired me to tidy up my photos and to tag all the ones that will be saved. So I have a lot to thank this little dragon for.
I haven't yet doodled my dragons or their counterparts using paper and pencil, but for me this is an alternative way of doodling and is what I enjoy doing in the evenings or when procrastinating.

5 comments:

Aussie Jo said...

Lovely dragons, look forward to seeing the doodle.

Shirley Anne Sherris said...

So... is this dragon image going to be stitched? The colours are so vibrant.
Cheers
Shirley

Heather said...

Love the dragon sculpture and the digital doodle. Looking forward to seeing what you do with these ideas.

... Paige said...

sad truth about many cultures.
Love your dragons...purple my fav

maggi said...

I love the fact that you have given him a companion, albeit a secret one.